Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, who has some good advice to share about the best sealer and best installation techniques for water pumps ? I am replacing the pump on my 1970 351C-2V engine and I am especially interested in some kind of technique where the gasket sealer does NOT gush out all over the place and look like a mess. The local Advance Auto Parts guy told me something about a tacky spray glue that you spray on both sides of the gasket in place of any sealer. Anybody have ane experience with this product ? If I used two gaskets, could I avoid using any sealer at all ??

Thanks for the help, as always !

-Jeff

·
Registered
616 Posts
Make sure the block and the new water pump are CLEAN! Many leaks can be attributed to a failure to get all the old gasket removed. Also, be carefull when removing and replacing the bolts, as there are multiple lengths and it is easy to get them mixed.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
There are a lot of good sealers, but silicone is still my choice for your application. If you're having trouble with a lot of it gushing out, you're using too much. For a water pump, I just spread it out with my fingers on each side of ONE gasket. If you have any excess that squeezes out after tightening the bolts, let it dry and use a knife blade to trim it off neatly.

I have used the tacky spray. But, I'm lazy, and always figure I'll be the next guy that has to clean off the gasket material on the next disassembly. That's where silicone really shines. ::

·
Registered
396 Posts
I use loctite 515,good stuff. Just use what you need too & spread it with your finger,the excess should be minimal. Ron.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
If both surfaces are clean and free of heavy scratches you don't need sealer . A gasket is made for "filling the gap between 2 irregular surfaces" . Silicone will "gush" out and depending on the water pump make it into the radiator to plug passages .
Use 3M spray adhesive , works great to hold the gasket in place and acts as a sealer .

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I agree with Johnrpo and Tim. Use a good silicone sealer and if any gushes out use a utility knife (after it sets up) to clean it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts