Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to replace my 13 year old shocks with something that would look like originals and give me the best ride. any suggestions appreciated. gas or oil filled and manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Motorcraft/Gabriel , get them from NPD.

Reactions: Huskinhano

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have the sport valved Bilstein shocks for my 65. I purchased them off the opinions of dozens of people on here and haven’t been disappointed in the slightest. On top of that, I’m more of the “you get what you pay for” type, especially with suspension and comfort items like shocks. John at Opentracker Racing has about the best deals on them and he’s a forum member. For something you don’t drive daily or very often, you could probably save a few bucks and get the street valved ones instead.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Street valve Bilsteins front and rear here. Make for a much better ride as far as comfort.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Street valve Bilsteins from Open Tracker. Best mod for the $ I’ve done to the car. Dramatically improved the ride even on m6 old worn out suspension.

·
Registered
35,460 Posts
looking to replace my 13 year old shocks with something that would look like originals and give me the best ride. any suggestions appreciated. gas or oil filled and manufacturer.
"The best ride". Hmmm… Depends on what "occasionally driven" means. Occasionally driven to Dairy Queen, or occasionally driven to autocross events.

For original appearance, plenty of shocks would look right, if stripped of tags and painted semi-gloss black.

Reactions: red351

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
im happy with the Excel Gs

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
As I said in post #2 the Motorcraft/Gabriel is your least expensive and best performing option that will meet your needs.
No need to spend big dollars for Bilstien’s, Koni’s for Dairy Queen runs. NPD has the paint to make them look O/E.

·
Registered
272 Posts
As I said in post #2 the Motorcraft/Gabriel is your least expensive and best performing option that will meet your needs.
No need to spend big dollars for Bilstien’s, Koni’s for Dairy Queen runs. NPD has the paint to make them look O/E.
The Excel G’s are about $100 and the street valved Bilstein’s are around $400. I think it’s definitely worth spending the extra money on, IMO, a better and likely longer lasting part. Just my opinion of course, that being said, it’s a difference of a couple hundred bucks and not enough of a difference to break the bank or anything

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The Excel G’s are about $100 and the street valved Bilstein’s are around $400. I think it’s definitely worth spending the extra money on, IMO, a better and likely longer lasting part. Just my opinion of course, that being said, it’s a difference of a couple hundred bucks and not enough of a difference to break the bank or anything
OP wanted original looks!

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
Leave 'em alone. Nothing wrong with "13 year old shocks on an occasional driver."
Paint 'em any color you like.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: kechke

·
Registered
166 Posts
2nd. though.... I never heard anybody say they got more for there car because it had bisteins when it got sold...…..

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
2nd. though.... I never heard anybody say they got more for there car because it had bisteins when it got sold...…..
Caus they removed them and put the 13 year old ones back on.lol

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
You don’t add shocks to increase the resale of the car?...you do it to improve your enjoyment of the car while you own it!

I have had Gabriel, Monroe, KYB, and other shocks over the years. And just assumed they were all the same (Except the KYB which were too harsh). Then I put Bilsteins on my 68. The difference was dramatic. The ride was now smooth and comfortable but controlled. No more bouncing, no more harshness. They won me over. I have been told by more than one professional suspension person, that the shocks are the most important and most overlooked part of the suspension. Now I believe it. So I’ll never settle on cheap shocks again. others are free to their own experiences and opinions.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
After 20,000 plus miles in my 68 with KYB shocks I can’t say I dislike the way it handles. It is smooth, comfortable and controlled as you state your car is with Bilstein’s, it must be my shock/spring combination.
I have been in a few evasive emergency situations with the car and it never turned end for end, even in the rain with this web sites much dissed BFG Radial T/A tires , everything turned out fine, no blood no foul!
To say that one brand of shock absorber will miraculously transform every old Mustang into a formula 1 handling road car is purely conjecture and subjective.
YMMV

1 - 20 of 20 Posts