Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m asking for my 66 Mercury Monterey and neither Koni nor Bilstein make shocks for it. So while I know they’re popular on Mustangs, I’m pretty much limited to these options:

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
For off the shelf. my vote would be for the KYB Gas a Justs. They're going to be stiffer valved than the other floater shocks. Might help tame that Monterey in the corners.

FWIW, if you truly wanted Bilsteins, RCD has a listing....

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
I’d buy Bilstein over KYB in a heartbeat...... but they’re not even close in comparison. KYB is kinda a shock.
I’m just not a KYB customer.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My advice wouldn’t be to call the guys at Viking. Tell them what you are looking for and if they make it they’ll give you the part #’s. You can then search for a seller and best price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone else heard of this Viking? I’ve been around a long time and never heard of them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would think that you could use any brand with the correct dimensions, capacities and attachments. Often times parts fit but were not defined for the particular application. I would call a few vendors to see if you can find someone knowledgable and is not just looking in their catalog.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Anyone else heard of this Viking? I’ve been around a long time and never heard of them.
Yup. Have double adjustable Vikings on my '48 truck. (cuz nobody semi-affordable makes anything decent)
Vikings aren't a cheap date.
They got their start in business by a couple of key people leaving QA-1 back about 7-8 years ago.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Call me if you want the RCD Bilsteins, I can order any part number they have...
Hey Shaun, good to hear from you. Why doesn’t Bilstein advertise shocks for the 66 Monterey? I’m a little skeptical that these will fit the car since Bilstein’s own website doesn’t list a part for my car.

·
Vendor
5,222 Posts
Hey Shaun, good to hear from you. Why doesn’t Bilstein advertise shocks for the 66 Monterey? I’m a little skeptical that these will fit the car since Bilstein’s own website doesn’t list a part for my car. View attachment 741917
Bilstein doesn't offer anything that directly fits. RCD takes the Bilstein valving technology and the shock body and adds the correct mounting ends to fit various vehicles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts