Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow VMF'ers. I am at my wits end. I've replace the gas tank, fuel pump, coil and have had the carb rebuilt multiple times. I cannot get the darned thing to run correctly. Recently had the carb come back from KP carbs and still the same issue. It'll run fine for about 10 mins and then it all goes to hell.

I want to take it somewhere and have someone smarter than myself have a look. It's a 66 with an I6.

What are the best shops around?

·
Registered
856 Posts
You might try Bill at Bill's Custom Truck & Auto in Marysville. Great guy who's worked on all four of our stangs.

What is it doing, exactly, when it all goes to hell?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It won't idle, runs real rough. In the amount of time that it goes **** up makes me believe it's a choke/carb issue but I've had it rebuilt by myself, another local guy and KPcarbs. Starting to doubt it's the carb.

There was rust in the tank so I replaced it and today I replaced the fuel pump thinking maybe the rust ruined the diaphragm. Also replaced the coil while I was there. Looked original. Got the car 9 months ago and still can't drive it.

Losing hope.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Hmmm. Vacuum leak? I'll ask a friend of mine tonight, I gotta call him anyway to take a look at my (hopefully just a) lifter tap. Where are you located?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I will check with a co-worker that lives in Puyallup to see if he knows of anyone. I know that is quite a ways south of you though.....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm. Vacuum leak? I'll ask a friend of mine tonight, I gotta call him anyway to take a look at my (hopefully just a) lifter tap. Where are you located?
Located up north in Mill Creek but I am willing to travel. :) Everything in the fuel system has been replaced. Thinking of starting on the distributor now.

I will check with a co-worker that lives in Puyallup to see if he knows of anyone. I know that is quite a ways south of you though.....
Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I got the following from my friend in Puyallup.

Scott Simonson, a real friendly and knowledgeable guy. He can be reached at: 253-255-1967. He is a Mustang / Ford guy, has access to a chassis dyno and full tuning capabilities. I’ve told him to expect a call from a guy in Everett.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the following from my friend in Puyallup.

Scott Simonson, a real friendly and knowledgeable guy. He can be reached at: 253-255-1967. He is a Mustang / Ford guy, has access to a chassis dyno and full tuning capabilities. I’ve told him to expect a call from a guy in Everett.
I appreciate the help Alan. I have something lined up next weekend that is a bit closer.

Must say I am pleased with how helpful people have been. Hope to get it going and meet a few of you over the summer months.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
McCutchen's Auto Repair in Everett are relatives of mine, die-hard old Ford guys, active in the local early Ford club scene. I've never had any work done there (since I'm hours away in Oregon), but they're super knowledgeable and have been around forever. Might check them out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

Giving this thread a bump and checking to see what (if any) reputable shops might be in my area. I posted my own thread about needing some help and while I got lots of responses, offering support, I'm still trying to figure out how to go about getting my dad's Mustang up and running. I'd love to hear about any local shops that specialize in classic muscle cars that turn out quality work and are trustworthy. A tall order I know.

I am just north of Seattle, in the Lynnwood-Everett area. I'd likely need to either have someone come to my house and take a look or have the car towed/trailered somewhere - which scares the crap outta me as that is how we ended up in this mess.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what you guys have to suggest.

Thanks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well? What was the issue? Inquiring minds (and gearheads) want to know...
Emulsion tube was clogged is the best guess. Been running great since, minus the rear main seal leak.

Hi,

Giving this thread a bump and checking to see what (if any) reputable shops might be in my area. I posted my own thread about needing some help and while I got lots of responses, offering support, I'm still trying to figure out how to go about getting my dad's Mustang up and running. I'd love to hear about any local shops that specialize in classic muscle cars that turn out quality work and are trustworthy. A tall order I know.

I am just north of Seattle, in the Lynnwood-Everett area. I'd likely need to either have someone come to my house and take a look or have the car towed/trailered somewhere - which scares the crap outta me as that is how we ended up in this mess.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what you guys have to suggest.

Thanks.
As I said above the rear main seal was leaking on mine and after installing 2 of them the leak was never fixed. Took the car into Marysville Speed and Custom which is where it sits now. The bottom end is getting rebuilt and they are putting in my T5 and new gauges.

So far I have enjoyed working with them and have no complaints but the car is not done yet.

I live in the Mill Creek area and it's a bit of drive out there.

Marysville Speed n Custom - Complete Auto Repair and Maintenance

Also might want to try the guys suggested above by datac and sparky66. Call around and go with someone you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm just down the street from Marysville Speed, in fact I've probably seen you car there :).

I'm still recovering from shoulder surgery - and currently waiting for some pain meds to kick in - but shoot me a PM and I'll give you the lowdown on all the local shops. :)

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Cam at Mville Speed is very knowledgeable and honest . I have no issue recommending them and I have dealt with them for about 10 years .

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just went by again on Saturday to pay some of the bill and see the progress on the car. So far very happy in my dealings with them.

I'm just down the street from Marysville Speed, in fact I've probably seen you car there :).

I'm still recovering from shoulder surgery - and currently waiting for some pain meds to kick in - but shoot me a PM and I'll give you the lowdown on all the local shops. :)
The day I meet Neil he took me by there. That's what made me decide to use them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts