Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out which steering box to order...I was considering an upgrade to a manual rack and pinion unit, but from everything I can find its endless issues with reduced turning radius and bump steer from every kit out there...which is fine, I have nothing against the factory steering box...except mine is 53 years old and needs to be replaced or rebuilt. Rock Auto has a couple options(same boxes carried by CJ Pony Parts and who knows who else) for $211 with no core("new")...or $137.00 with a core("remanufactured") One box in a 22:1 ratio and one box in a 16:1 ratio. This leads me to some questions...from what I have read the manual mustang box is supposed to be either 19:1 or 16:1 with the falcon box being 22:1(My assumption here is that they are selling the falcon boxes...at least as far as ratio goes).

Which box would you suggest for my setup?

-Manual Steering
-14" Steering Wheel
-16" wheels with a 215/55/16 tire

The car is being built for spirited street driving with maybe an occasional track day. I know that the difference in lock-to-lock turns will be roughly 1 full turn...but as an example...right now with the stock manual box(19:1 ratio?) when pushing the car around the parking lot I can easily turn the stock steering wheel(15") while pushing the car by the a-pillar(cant be moving more than 2mph doing this) to maneuver it wherever I need it, which leads me to believe maybe I can deal with a numerically lower ratio...but these are also stock wheels with whatever puny tire size they come with....so suggestions are appreciated. An aftermarket under-the dash EPAS unit is not out of the question...at least for speeds under 10mph(I would have it shut off for higher speeds)

·
Premium Member
6,344 Posts
My car came with 19.9 to 1, I converted it to the 16 to 1 manual and I enjoy the fewer turns to move about but it takes a little more effort at low speeds like in a parking lot. Main thing was to have a more precise box and for it to be right if I converted to power steering later on. EPAS isn't something I would personally do but the sixteen to one box would make that more enjoyable as well.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My car came with 19.9 to 1, I converted it to the 16 to 1 manual and I enjoy the fewer turns to move about but it takes a little more effort at low speeds like in a parking lot. Main thing was to have a more precise box and for it to be right if I converted to power steering later on. EPAS isn't something I would personally do but the sixteen to one box would make that more enjoyable as well.
I dont care for the idea of power steering either...the appeal of the electric version is that you can set it to turn off at anything over a given speed and leave you full-feeling manual steering when you want...not so much with hydraulic.

·
Registered
10,268 Posts
I am trying to figure out which steering box to order...I was considering an upgrade to a manual rack and pinion unit, but from everything I can find its endless issues with reduced turning radius and bump steer from every kit out there...which is fine, I have nothing against the factory steering box...except mine is 53 years old and needs to be replaced or rebuilt. Rock Auto has a couple options(same boxes carried by CJ Pony Parts and who knows who else) for $211 with no core("new")...or $137.00 with a core("remanufactured") One box in a 22:1 ratio and one box in a 16:1 ratio. This leads me to some questions...from what I have read the manual mustang box is supposed to be either 19:1 or 16:1 with the falcon box being 22:1(My assumption here is that they are selling the falcon boxes...at least as far as ratio goes).

Which box would you suggest for my setup?

-Manual Steering
-14" Steering Wheel
-16" wheels with a 215/55/16 tire

The car is being built for spirited street driving with maybe an occasional track day. I know that the difference in lock-to-lock turns will be roughly 1 full turn...but as an example...right now with the stock manual box(19:1 ratio?) when pushing the car around the parking lot I can easily turn the stock steering wheel(15") while pushing the car by the a-pillar(cant be moving more than 2mph doing this) to maneuver it wherever I need it, which leads me to believe maybe I can deal with a numerically lower ratio...but these are also stock wheels with whatever puny tire size they come with....so suggestions are appreciated. An aftermarket under-the dash EPAS unit is not out of the question...at least for speeds under 10mph(I would have it shut off for higher speeds)
Falcon box has a different case and won’t fit a Mustang..... found that out the hard way with a NOS Falcon box I bought for dirt cheap..... bummer.
22:1 would be a Mustang steering box ratio, considering all the steering gear attached, not just the internal ratio of the box itself.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
37,794 Posts
^^^ Right. The 19:1 box is sometimes called the 22:1 ratio... confusing, ain't it?

I have a 16:1 box, Shelby Quick-Steer, 14-inch steering wheel and 205/65R15's up front and no power assist. Yeah, it's a bit "stiff" when stopped but the minute you're rolling it's fine. One handed cruising not a problem.

PS: I'd contact Dan Chockley (Chockostang) about a rebuilt box vs. any of the el cheapo boxes put together on an assembly line by some gum-chewer making minimum wage.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^ Right. The 19:1 box is sometimes called the 22:1 ratio... confusing, ain't it?

I have a 16:1 box, Shelby Quick-Steer, 14-inch steering wheel and 205/65R15's up front and no power assist. Yeah, it's a bit "stiff" when stopped but the minute you're rolling it's fine. One handed cruising not a problem.

PS: I'd contact Dan Chockley (Chockostang) about a rebuilt box vs. any of the el cheapo boxes put together on an assembly line by some gum-chewer making minimum wage.
Thanks for the advice...its probably the what I will do. Question on the quick steer...how much of a difference did that make?

·
Registered
37,794 Posts
Thanks for the advice...its probably the what I will do. Question on the quick steer...how much of a difference did that make?
The Quick-Steer took about 1/2 turn away lock-to-lock. Don't know what YEAR you have, but only available for '65-66, unless somebody has come out with a version lately for newer cars.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
990 Posts
Precision? Either box, rebuilt by dan, with a roller idler arm and Good tie rods and tie rod adjusters.

19:1 with the quick steer would be pretty decent me thinks. If you've already got it!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
66 manual steering here, took the 19:1 out and went with a 16:1 and love it. Doing a I6 to V8 conversion and rebuilt my entire frunt suspension and steering. No slop, when you turn left, it goes left now. Some advice if you go with a 16:1 box, 1) Chockostang rebuild and 2) Try and find a steering box from a former power steering car and use its box. It should be a 16:1 unit, during its life, was power assisted, so it should not be as worn internally than a 16:1 manual steering box.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Since I have the 19:1 box...a Chokostang rebuild, combined with the Shelby quick steer and the ORP roller idler arm seems like it may be the ticket...but if I do manage to find a 16:1 box before then I will go for that. I am probably getting ahead of myself on that one by a couple months though, still have about 40 hours of metal work to finish up first...then I get to build some type of rotisserie.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Like mentioned above, something the data on steering ratio is related to the overall ratio (steering box and steering linkage) and sometimes to just the box. The 16:1 box will result in a ~21:1 overall ratio (forgot the exact number) with the standard linkage on a 65-66. 67+ steering is actually a little quicker, due to shorter steering arms on the spindle (6.75" vs 7.125", so a 5% difference)

My 65 has the quick steering box, Shelby pitman arms and 70 spindles, for a 18:1 overall ratio. Earlier, the steering was really heavy but now with a properly rebuilt, adjusted and (most importantly) lubricated steering box (basically 100% full with grease, so that the gears push the grease around instead of out of the way) and a roller idler arm, the steering is very nice. Not excessively heavy and reasonably quick. Not like a modern car, but fine nonetheless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts