Vintage Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts
Dear Sir,
If I may be so bold. I would encourage you to take a look at the Mike Maier inc web site. I was the one that designed the brace originally and now we at the new shop have improved the design. We have slotted the mounts to ensure fitment across more variations old uni bodies. We have also mad a fixture that allows us to mount the front cross bars in different locations due to specific applications. We also have a complete line of chassis stiffening.
Mike,

I'm considering your Subframe connectors for my 69 Convertible, do you have any pictures that show them installed on a 65-70 convertible so I can see how you handle the lower seat support on the underside of the floor?

Just for anyone shopping around for SFC that don't drag the ground and look like they belong there. Here is another picture of my Spintechs as I was getting ready to weld on.

Attachments

I used TCI, and could tell the difference with the body on the rotisserie. But, noticed the biggest difference in the body stiffness after I installed the 6 point cage. I didn't realize what a difference the cage would make.
Hey, that's a Cougar. Do we allow those on VMF?
All kidding aside, the cage is the ultimate frame/unibody stiffener.
Subframe connectors are a joke in comparison to a properly
designed and installed cage.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

im still hung up on a good set for the 69 convertible. i like Maier's connectors on how close they hug the body as well as how much they connect to the subframes. Down side is they dont make them for verts. So has anyone here made their own? it would be an easy task to do, but i dont have a pipe bender.

I'm still beating this to death. I want to stiffen my 66 up. I already have the export brace, Monte Carlo bar that has to be installed and Z's cross member that also needs to be installed.

I'm not sure that I want to install the inner rockers and seat pan. I've bounced around a 6 point cage. I know that would really stiffen the car up. The other reason I thought about a cage, I would love to get involved with the ECTA and do the standing mile. I know someone on another forum who's involved with them pretty closely. He said all I would need to run up to 135 MPH would be 3 point seat belts. However he said with older cars such as a vintage Mustang or Camaro, they would really like to see a cage. To be truthful I wouldn't want to be in an accident at 60 MPH in a vintage Mustang let alone 135 MPH. On the other hand I'm not so inclined to have a cage on a street car for various reasons.

I think now I'm more at the point of torque boxes with connectors crossed braced. If anyone has comments or suggestions I'm all ears.

I'm still beating this to death. I want to stiffen my 66 up. I already have the export brace, Monte Carlo bar that has to be installed and Z's cross member that also needs to be installed.

I'm not sure that I want to install the inner rockers and seat pan. I've bounced around a 6 point cage. I know that would really stiffen the car up. The other reason I thought about a cage, I would love to get involved with the ECTA and do the standing mile. I know someone on another forum who's involved with them pretty closely. He said all I would need to run up to 135 MPH would be 3 point seat belts. However he said with older cars such as a vintage Mustang or Camaro, they would really like to see a cage. To be truthful I wouldn't want to be in an accident at 60 MPH in a vintage Mustang let alone 135 MPH. On the other hand I'm not so inclined to have a cage on a street car for various reasons.

I think now I'm more at the point of torque boxes with connectors crossed braced. If anyone has comments or suggestions I'm all ears.
We should have a set available soon. I'll bring a set to Columbus so you can fondle them if you like.

Shaun, any idea on price point? What's the weather like that time of year at Columbus?
They are looking like they will be toward the higher end of the market. They have a few features built in that will make installing our 3-Link easier, these add to the cost.

Roll a dice and guess what the weather will be. I've been there walking through snow and I've also been there in a T-shirt.

Next year I'll be more serious about this. While a cage would do wonders I believe, I think at least for me it's a little over the top. Either the inner rockers or connectors are more realistic.

I have other things on the car that needed attention first.

Sounds like typical north east April weather. I can remember being sunny and 70 one day and the next day a foot of snow.

Bonnie wants to go to SC in April and maybe look at graduate school for our daughter.

im still hung up on a good set for the 69 convertible. i like Maier's connectors on how close they hug the body as well as how much they connect to the subframes. Down side is they dont make them for verts. So has anyone here made their own? it would be an easy task to do, but i dont have a pipe bender.
I installed some Global West SFC's on a '70 convertible that I've been working on for a fellow VMF member. They fit decent for round tube connectors. I had issues with the attachment areas as the folks at G.W. had a little mix up with their welding personal. The tabs are welded in a fixture at the factory and someone grabbed a U shaped bracket with a D instead of a P (driver's verses passenger) designation. Basically ended up with two passenger side connectors. A little cutting and welding corrected the issue. Can't comment on their performance, but are fairly easy to install.

I'd go with tommyz. He's got some of his on my buddy's 65 and fit extremely well. They don't require leaf spring bolts as they weld up to a higher part of the rear frame. He's on ebay
http://m.ebay.com/itm/250640605552

I'd go with tommyz. He's got some of his on my buddy's 65 and fit extremely well. They don't require leaf spring bolts as they weld up to a higher part of the rear frame. He's on ebay
65-70 Mustang Tommyzees Tubular Subframe Connectors
ive looked at his stuff the other day and wrote him an email about his connectors seeing if he made them for verts. Responded the same day and was straight to the point. I'd like to think doing business with him would work out. just giving ya a heads up.

I installed some Global West SFC's on a '70 convertible that I've been working on for a fellow VMF member. They fit decent for round tube connectors. I had issues with the attachment areas as the folks at G.W. had a little mix up with their welding personal. The tabs are welded in a fixture at the factory and someone grabbed a U shaped bracket with a D instead of a P (driver's verses passenger) designation. Basically ended up with two passenger side connectors. A little cutting and welding corrected the issue. Can't comment on their performance, but are fairly easy to install.

Ive read some mixed things about the GW having issues. I'd like them to be a little longer, with maybe two welding tabs up front, and one before the curve as well in the back. maybe it wouldnt be necessary but it looks kinda flimsy compared to some who connect at a multiple points

I just installed a set of Maier's subframe connectors on my '65 vert. They fit perfectly and with the x-brace tying them together, you can eliminate the plate connecting the floor pans to give you a little more room for exhaust.

Im looking to get sub-frame connectors from santa! lol wich ones are the best? ive looking at maier racing? hows maier racing export brace setup??
Best in terms of what?

Rigidity?
Cost?
Lightweight?
Aesthetics?
Customer Service?

41 - 60 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.