Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best T-5 shifter on the market?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I have had a Pro-5.0 for 15 years. Still rock solid. It did require some minor clearancing of the shifter hole, but nothing that a stock shifter bezel will not cover. With a Hurst handle and white ball it looks like a period correct upgrade.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Pro 5.0 is a great shifter. Steeda Tri Ax was one I had on a previous car that I also loved but the Pro 5.0 to me has a better feel and an awesome throw. Pretty sure Matter is talking about the handle and not the shifter.

·
Dimples
4,848 Posts
Tim! Been a long time brotha.

Short answer is they’re all quite good. Have a pro 5.0 now that’s great, had a Steeda on another car that was just as good. I hear the MGW is nice too.

As long as it has positive stops, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Pro 5.0 is a great shifter. Steeda Tri Ax was one I had on a previous car that I also loved but the Pro 5.0 to me has a better feel and an awesome throw. Pretty sure Matter is talking about the handle and not the shifter.
Yes, thanks! Shifter is stock T-5

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
you're going to get a ton of different answers to this one. I have a UPR blue thunder shifter that is fantastic. I don't think there is a ton of difference in the short shifters anymore.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Steeda, Hurst, Pro 5.0- Spend as much as you want. Im not sure how you call one better than the other if they all work as intended. I think I read the Steeda is the "tallest" and thus shortens the throw the most.
Even those $50 cheapies on Ebay get good reviews on other forums.

·
Dimples
4,848 Posts
Steeda, Hurst, Pro 5.0- Spend as much as you want. Im not sure how you call one better than the other if they all work as intended. I think I read the Steeda is the "tallest" and thus shortens the throw the most.
Even those $50 cheapies on Ebay get good reviews on other forums.
I agree. I remember in the 90's when these things were fairly new and there were some solutions that could be argued to be better in one way or another, but I think the bad ones either went away or got re-engineered to be pretty much as good as the others by now.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm pretty sure I tried most of the aftermarkets over the years, mainly in fox body cars. My Pro-5.0 shifter developed a rattle/buzz at WOT in 3rd gear, and no matter how much I adjusted the stops it would not quit. This was a first-gen one, so they probably have gotten better. Hurst Comp + was very good too. I really liked the Steeda Tri-Axe. Probably my favorite of the three I've tried. For my current 67, I was looking for a chrome hurst shifter handle and white ball on eBay, and found an "SR" shifter being sold for a T5 for something like $40 bucks. Seriously? Looked decent in the pics...what the heck, I bought it. I've gotta tell you, it fit very well, the base is black powder coated, the tower is pretty heavy gauge aluminum, and the shift action is on par with other aftermarket shifters. It's all contained below the floor/boot, so all you see is on mine is the chrome hurst stick and shift ball. I have only 30 miles on the car, so I can't speak to longevity or durability in racing use, but so far the cheapo shifter is really nice and is $100+ cheaper than the name brands.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
as long as you get a shifter that has stops , whatever you choose will probably be fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts