Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. I want nice, inexpensive disc brakes on the front of my '66. I will be changing the MC to a dual reservoir disc/drum. I will be running late model 17" wheels(from '02 GT). So, what is the best kit available?
Grant

·
Registered
7,294 Posts

·
Registered
21,474 Posts
Boy is this a loaded question. I bought a complete set of disc brakes, including the spindles from a 71 Mustang for $20, does this count as a cheap disc brake kit?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy crap, no offense but there is already a current post about this.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/showtopic.php?ti...

Running 17s, you could also go with the VintageVenom 13" Cobra brakes kit that takes care of the need for spacers in the front, and costs under a grand, maybe $700 if you get lucky.
I saw the thread but it said 14" wheels. It is a more specific thread than simply "best inexpensive disc brakes". It does have alot of the information I am looking for though, sorry for what is essentially a double-post. The VintageVenom brakes sound great but are more than what I was wanting to spend. I don't need 13" either, just 11 or 12" would be fine(but prefer no smaller).
Boy is this a loaded question. I bought a complete set of disc brakes, including the spindles from a 71 Mustang for $20, does this count as a cheap disc brake kit?
Yep, everything counts!
Is the choko kit good?
Grant

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice looking kit Shaun but I am looking for a kit under $500. I may upgrade to those at a later date but for now I would just like to have discs on the cheap. Does the Chocko kit on ebay have a good reputation?
Grant

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Have u went to discbrakeswap.com that what am using. there great and are under 500 dollars.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply. It looks to be $545 but it also looks VERY complete. We may have a winner with this kit, it looks pretty impressive for the money. Anyone else running this kit and have any comments?
Grant
EDIT: Instead of making another thread I'll just ask here. Does anyone have the shelby drop template for a '66?
EDIT 2: Disregard previous request for drop template. I just found them offered by OpenTracker in Trade/Free.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Stanger'66 said:
Thanks for the reply. It looks to be $545 but it also looks VERY complete. We may have a winner with this kit, it looks pretty impressive for the money. Anyone else running this kit and have any comments?
Grant
EDIT: Instead of making another thread I'll just ask here. Does anyone have the shelby drop template for a '66?
I've said it often enough, but nobody seems to listen. Scarebird. WWW.scarebird.com Grand total under 400 bucks,,,

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've said it often enough, but nobody seems to listen. Scarebird. www.scarebird.com Grand total under 400 bucks,,,
Sorry Dave, I'm not on here a ton. I read some good reviews about scarebird when I used to visit more often. But then I just recently read this...
Scarebird has put me off big time, F'ing with success in changing his kits 950,000 times and ditching the S10/Mustang based kit that I bought. His newer kits aren't nearly as simple as they seem. Good news is I have somewhere under $400 in it.
So what is exactly is the verdict on Scarebird, good or not? I have now heard both.
Grant

·
Registered
7 Posts
That kit from chockostang is NOT the kit I bought. I bought a stock style 4 piston set-up. I paid $750 for mine. It came with everything needed to do the fronts: rotors, calipers, brackets, dust shields, hoses etc. The instructions were vague at best, honestly I didn't need them. I have a shop manual for my car and this is what they came from the factory with. I know that they will stop very well. for what I need. The kit posted looks more like the 68-69 stock set-up, has different spindles, where as the 65-67 disc set-up is non specific to spindles. I wanted to have the original style brakes for my car, makes it very easy to get parts for it, you got to the parts store and they give back what you need, no muss no fuss which was a big selling feature for me.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good point on the ease of parts purchasing Jason. I assume it would be just as easy to purchase parts for a late model Cobra brake assembly? "I need a 13 in. '04 Cobra rotor for my '66 Mustang" That will get the parts guy scratching his head. Seriously though it should be simple to purchase a replacement rotor or caliper for the vintagevenom kit, correct? For those of you who used the vintagevenom kit, did you buy the front conversion kit and then purchase the actual brake hardware from a junkyard? This approach could make the 13" brake option more affordable for me.
Grant

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
While you're pulling the worn/warped rotors and sticky calipers off of a totaled car, think for a second if you really want to cut this corner.... you usually don't depend on a salvage yard engine/trans/starter/etc. to stop you from hitting something/someone.

If you're going with one of the "add your own rotors/calipers" kits.... buy the parts new/reconditioned.

IMO, for your budget, the best kit (thoroughly complete, 100% turnkey) at your disposal is the Discbrakeswap.com kit.

You won't be disappointed.

Dave

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dave,
You would have to find a perfect Cobra that was rear ended enough to total it and it just got in the yard, unstripped. That won't happen so I won't dig out unuseable brake parts, don't worry. I agree that the discbrakeswap.com kit looks to be of the highest quality and the most complete for the money. I just want to make sure it will give me enough brake to fill out the 17in. wheels and I think it will.
Grant

·
Registered
190 Posts
Rod and Custom still sells a cheap brake swap, I just saw thier ad in one of the Mustang mags. I think it's like $379, I don't know how complete it is but it's on my list of things to check out when I get to brakes.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I'm one of the cheapest SOB's on the planet and I'm using RCM's front and rear disc brake kits.

Dave

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I heard the RCM kit requires cutting? Right now I am leaning towards the discbrakeswap.com kit.
Grant

1 - 20 of 25 Posts