1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Spammer Hammer
9,532 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

That's who I was thinking also--I just forgot his name.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
833 Posts
I recommend Mustang Steve's adapter kit, and then you can run almost any late model disc brake and caliper you want. Very affordable and you can get parts when needed from any local auto parts store.
The “problem “ with Mustang Steve is that his kits all require a minimum wheel size of 17”. The others have kits for 14 & 15” wheels.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I always err towards SIMPLE. Too many "fancy" systems and what about parts & repairs 5, 10 or even 20 years from now? Look at SSBC- are they gone? I did 68 discs on my 64 in 1992. Stock FORD parts, replacement parts almost anywhere and even local parts stores and relatively bolt-on. Not only did I do mine almost 30 years ago, that's about 430,000 MILES since. Been thru a few rotors, calipers, pads and even a master cylinder (75 Maverick). Only non-Ford part is the proportioning valve- still found almost everywhere.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Depends on the year...SSBC is no more, but for the front, the 65-67 the stock Kelsey Hayes caliper and rotor design are available new and used from many sources and vendors, with or without the stainless piston mod for many years of trouble-free service. Ditto for factory Ford stuff for 68 and up. Rear disc conversions are also out there but the benefit on a lightweight Mustang is more aesthetic than performance unless your autocrossing etc.

·
Registered
10,002 Posts
Yeah, for a front disc brake conversion, I highly recommend a Kelsey Hayes kit from Chockostang. All factory replacement parts.

Many of the aftermarket, performance kits are great, but they are very custom. There WILL be issues with wheel fitment, master cylinder fitment and other fitment. If you want to go custom, and you're willing to overcome those obstacles, cool. If you don't want to mess with all that, go Kelsey Hayes.

There's a lot of debate about Granada brake kits on Mustangs. My personal take is that was a cool thing to do when you could visit any salvage yard, remove the brakes from a junked Granada, and bolt them onto your Mustang; cheap and easy. These days, you'd be hard pressed to find a junked Granada. If you did, the brakes would be completely shot from years in the weather. So, why bother? There are now plenty of good conversion kits designed specifically for a Mustang.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Your options are CSRP or Chockostang. Both are members on the forum. Both are nice conversions and are stock, thus will work with 5 lug 14" wheels. I personally have the CSRP kit, which comes with everything you need right down to the lock tite and grease.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Depending on the size of the wheels, Mustang Steve adapters let you use late model refurbished Ford caliper cores and EBC UK and USA pads and rotors. Thats the route I went as I'm not a fan of commie parts when I can avoid it. It's not as plug and play as the "kits"

·
Registered
468 Posts
The “problem “ with Mustang Steve is that his kits all require a minimum wheel size of 17”. The others have kits for 14 & 15” wheels.
Really good point; I am more restomod focused and forget most like to stick closer to original/stock. If you do want performance brakes, their set up is hard to beat for the $ and ease of finding parts.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Mine are exactly as shown in the picture. He must have found a new source for parts since I bought mine.
When did you buy the package? I just talked with them a week ago and Dennis said they were not going to be available anymore.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Wilwood dynalites come in an 11 inch rotor. You can buy the whole set up minus the master cylinder from summit for $574. They are super easy to install. I had everything done in an afternoon. They fit under my 14 inch rims, that I had at the time no problem.

You can read another post by @Kelly_H and her experience with the rear setup by Wilwood. I like mine and don't regret going to them. It's full kit designed just for the mustang and works really well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts