Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel tank is 6 years old and I need to clean it out for my new engine. I took it out of the car and poured "B-12" in it (some cleaning chemicals from autozone). What is the best way to clean the inside out? (it is not dirty enough to have it boiled out). Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
I surprised you think your tank needs cleaned out given the relatively young age. However, I'm not sure I would ever recommend cleaning them out since the cost for replacement is so reasonable. You can get very good new tanks with drains for a little over $100. For that price I would opt to replace rather than clean....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Take it to a radiator shop, they speacialize in that kind of stuff. I just called one the other day to get my tractor gas tank cleaned and he said it would be 65$.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont really want to spend $100 for a gas tank when I have to buy to many other parts for my new engine. I'm only 17 and so far i have close to $6k in my engine. I still have to buy a radiator, ps pump, ps hoses, ac compressor, ac hoses, brake lines, a battery, etc. When will the spending end???!!!??? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The spending ends about 6 months after you sell the car. Takes that long to pay off the credit cards. Why would you want the spending to end. That only means you're not having restoration fun!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Buy yourself a big bag full of BBs, or small nuts (1/4-20?) and put them inside and shake it up real good (I'm talking severl hundred). It will dislodge the stuff you want out.

Don't forget to remove them!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Try the length of chain..heavier the better. The nuts and bolts aren't heavy enough. Find a chair or milk carton plastic box and set the box on a trailer to get it about waist high. You can then move the tank around pretty easy if you got it on top of something smaller than the tank. Rattle the cahin around in there for as long as you got thee muscle then do it some more. Best done with tank bone dry. Don't worry about top side. concentrate on the bottom side. Wash out real good with water hose and let dry. Pour some gas in and flush it out a couple times. In line filter at pump for a while and that's about as good as you'll get it.
I used a 3/8 chain once andd got it tied in a knot inside..knot came undone easy enough tho......

G

·
0 Posts
I heard that a boat is a hole in the water into which the owner pours money. Maybe it's the same, but this is a space in the driveway. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts