Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I definitely would not replace the entire quarter. Nothing fits up against the existing panels like the original panels. No fighting a poorly fitting panel, you just cut you quarter to fit the space you need.
I disagree there...the Dynacorn quarters fit almost perfectly...very little fooling with them...and this was on a coupe, which is known to have fitment issues with the driver-side repro panels. It fit perfectly to the filler panel, the door jamb, and the taillight panel, I had trouble with the new outer wheelhousings. The inner wheelhousings and quarters were Dynacorn, but had to use some other repro outer wheelhousings and I had to slice them a bit for proper fitment. I think if using Dynacorn quarters you will spend more time patching in a piece and doing bodywork than if you replaced them outright....of course there are other issues with aftermarket quarters, such as the body lines not being as crisp, but that is another issue entirely(or maybe its not?)

Reactions: GOAT69

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,880 Posts
Well I bought 2 Dynacorn quarter panels for my 66 and neither fit. So I tried a Goodmark panel and it fit like a glove but the panel itself wasn't quite as smooth as the Dynacorn panels. I tried another source for my 4th panel, it was a Golden Legion panel and it was flawless. There is no consistency with the Dynacorn brand. They are like everyone else, they buy from a couple of sources. As Rick from NPD has stated, Dynacorn is another re-seller.

·
Super Moderator
9,761 Posts
I’d keep as much as the original quarter as possible, and cut and patch from the repop.

Dynacorn isn’t a brand, only a resale tag.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gonna hijack thread a little for a sec, sorry... What are thoughts on patching a replaced quarter. PO put new quarters on my '67, many many years ago, but they are the generic '67/'68 (no ornaments) there is some rot on front bottom of each side. Was originally going to just buy a '67 skin and patch in the rotted portion to include correct ornament vents (basically the front 1/4 of the quarter). Rest of both panels are fine and solid. Or should I replace both entire panels?

BTW, I already know Woodchucks thoughts, but I'm stubborn...🤣

Thanks

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I would patch.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I’d keep as much as the original quarter as possible, and cut and patch from the repop.

Dynacorn isn’t a brand, only a resale tag.
I guess I could go with the technical brand of MuscleCarGT or whichever particular supplier the Dynacorn middleman used for the quarter, but the result is the same, Dyancorn as a middleman is known for slightly better fitting parts. In the end, I was impressed with the fit of the quarters, the only real defect being the body line wasnt as crisp as OEM, miles better than some of the other stampings I have modified to work.

·
Super Moderator
9,761 Posts
No, they’re Only a rebranding / reselling tag, not a mfg.

They offer the same items that are available elsewhere. There is a very popular, well respected vendor who goes over this every time the topic pops up.

I also thought they were a mfg, then a of supplier, of superior parts,.....

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
DO NOT CUT IT WHERE YOU HAVE IT MARKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The new panel is thinner metal and the defining crease where it goes from (roughly) vertical to (roughly) horizontal will never be "right". Cut it in the vertical section of the existing panel and do a flange overlap joint. Use something like this: Amazon.com: Blair 13229 Flange Tool: Automotive

Just my opinion, but I learned this the hard and expensive way.

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Registered
1 Posts
+1 for using the yellow line instead. They did exactly the same thing as the yellow line on my 67 and it came out great. I bought the Dynacorn full quarter panel and was disappointed how absolute mush the body lines were compared the crisp original lines.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Another vote for using a full quarter panel, making the cut in the vertical portion of the panel below the character line, and welding to a flange on the original panel. That's how I did it, in an effort to save as much original metal as possible...but if I had to do it again, I'd seriously consider replacing the whole thing if the replacement panel was good enough. I did a couple posts on my blog on exactly this repair, take a look and see if it helps at all.

·
Registered
99 Posts
the way i did mine is i had a skin and fit it super close. pretty much was hugging the car like a glove where it should go. The top flange i then worked over so that it was hugging the top piece also. i clamped it all over super tight and double checked that it wouldn't move on me. My idea was if i got it fitting snug enough i would cut through both at the same time. along the first top red line that you have. Mine was probably an inch in from the top body line. i haven't welded it together yet cause i am trying to get the door gap looking good but the gap along the top fits up perfect since i did both at the same time.

If i cut both of those panels separately there is no way i would have got it that close. if i saw this thread sooner i may have pondered the idea of cutting lower like everyone else is saying to. lucky for me i have to do the other side anyways so i may try it on the other side. plus i also have a full quarter if it goes completely sideways on me.

full disclosure i have only done minimal body work and this is my first quarter skin. I remember reading some articles about quarter skin replacement and they all mentioned cutting through both panels at the same time along the top. this wasn't an idea that i came up with.

·
Registered
1969 Mach 1 351 Black Jade
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
An update on what I decided for anyone searching for this in the future. I choose to replace the entire quarter, was not as hard as I thought it would be. The most annoying part was getting the inner wheel house to cooperate as that needed to be replaced as well and the dynacorn ones were not great replicas. I also got lucky on the dynacorn quarters not needing to be trimmed down as so many people online needed to do to theirs. Also the side scoop part needed to be slightly modified and the curve is a little different so I need to modify the original scoops slightly.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts