Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to re-install the coil springs in my car. I have the strut spring type compressor currently (two clamp/screw type) and haven't found a place to borrow/rent an internal style compressor. Anyway, when I get the spring compressed about low enough to insert, the screws are going to be too long to get the spring in.

Engine is currenlty out so there goes the idea of jacking up the upper control arms to seat them...

Other ideas that will work without cutting the springs?

·
Registered
742 Posts
I would not use the strut spring compressor !!!
Do you have a Harbor Freight Tools in your area ??? http://www.harborfreight.com/ They sell an internal spring compressor for about $13. I have used this about 6 times without a problem, just make sure you grease the threads real good.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Kragen will do the same thing. Do yourself a favor and remove one of the hockey sticks when you remove it. It will slide out much easier.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Autozone is good - i paid $50 or 60 deposit, kept it for 3 mos., broke lead screw (they gave me another at no cost) and returned it and got my deposit back. trick is to attach only lower jaws at bottom of spring, remove top jaws, and either get a piece of steel plate about 5X5 in. and drill hole it it for lead screw. then place that on top of shock tower and have at it. others on forum have placed 2 lenghts of rebar or other round stock and hooked top jawd around that. make sure its tough - lot of energy in that spring wound up, ask me how i know. also stand towards front or rear of car since spring comes out side of wheeel well if it gets loose. BE CAREFUL!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a HF near work, perhaps I'll go there tomorrow. After all, why borrow a tool you can buy! If it is only $13, it will work nicely into my schedule and budget. I've been trying to borrow one from the local auto stores and all they have are the strut spring compressors. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure I follow. You basicly used a strut compressor with the screws hooked to the spring at the bottom and a plate on top of the shock tower similar to the regular tool? I thought of hooking the top hook to the shock tower and bottom to the spring but hadn't had time to try again. For $13, I may try the HF internal compressor (I'm kind of chicken and fond of my teeth :: ).

Anyway, I'll look at work for some steel to make a plate with that may work like you suggest, thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts