Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I had to do this exact project when I was 16 and was given my Grandfather 1975 Merc Comet...it was Orange with a black vinyl roof and he had put black stripes down the hood and trunk.

You peel off the sticker itself, they will come right off, but will leave the backing on the car. Then rubbed it down with a Kerosene soaked rag...the kerosene ate through the backing and it all came of the car with a only a few hours labor and little elbow grease.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
You could try a blow dryer or heat gun...just take it slow and be careful how close & how long you direct the heat. Although on an older vehicle the stripes are probably very hard & brittle. Thus heat might not do the trick. Good luck.
~jeff

·
Registered
742 Posts
Just a thought ...The Paint on the car may have faded over the years, but the color under the stripes may look new?

·
Registered
884 Posts
NO, No .

Go to the auto paint store and get 3M stripe remover. The vinyl will shrivel up, and just wipe off. On old stripes it may take several applications. Then You use a adhesive remover. It is true you will have good shiny paint underneath.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would suggest caution with the 3M stripe remover. I just used it to take the old GT stripes off my '65, which it did very well but unfortunately also removed some of the paint in the process-wound up having to refinish the bottom of the door

1 - 6 of 6 Posts