Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my first extended drive with an adult, maybe 185 lbs, passenger up front since putting the bigger wheels and tires on. Noticed a slight amount of scrubbing to outer right rear on isolated bumps, otherwise the clearance is good.

What would be more effective in moderating the up/down deflection of rear suspension without an unduly harsh ride:
1. new stock leafs (which I have awaiting install with Midoline bushings) or
2. new shocks? any shock recommendations? adjustable?

The current shocks are Motorcraft and when I test them manually by pushing down on back of car they do not allow it to keep bouncing... However, the back end does feel a little bouncy on some "whoop de do's" on the road...
TIA

P.S. I won't be rolling or trimming the fender lips

·
Registered
727 Posts
New leafs will do it. The springs provide the support whereas the shocks prevent the bouncing.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Actually, the total amount of deflection you will get in a spring is determined by the amount of force applied to the spring. So in the static state the spring determines the ride heigth of the vehicle. However, in a dynamic situation, the force applied to the suspension is shared between the shock and the spring. At the instant you hit a bump, the force from the bump is carried in the shock, then with time the force is released from the shock to the spring. So shocks will limit the amount of suspension travel from hitting bumps. This is the theory and I hope it is right because I just presented a lecture on this to 50 students this morning!

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
What JohnZ said is correct. Here's something you may not have thought of though...

If you haven't already, try installing a rear sway bar. Here's the theory. If you hit a bump with both rear tires, it won't change anything. But, if one side hits (pothole for example), or if one side hits harder that the other (real world), the sway bar will be torsionally loaded, and it will act like placing a stiffer spring on the one side. Thus reducing the deflection, and keeping your tire off the wheel lip. A sway bar is nothing more than a spring, or more acurately a torsion bar. It just doesn't look like one.

Plus, your car will handle better, and you get to tell SWMBO that it's for safety reasons /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She: "So, you just spent a bunch more on the car for safety reasons?"
He: "That's right honey, can't be too safe."
She: "Well, it does ride nicer... but what were those charges I saw for the new stereo and speakers?"
He: "Those were safety-related too."
She: "What?! how?"
He: "If all I had to listen to while driving was the rumble of the V8, I might get hypnomatized and lose control. This way I can have a variety of sounds/forums/images/icons/smile.gif!"
She: "You're cleaning up the basement when we get home!"

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,516 Posts
You might consider "gas charged" shocks. Most new cars come with them. I replaced the plain old rear shocks on SWMBO's 86 with Monroe Gas-Matics( or whatever they call 'em) and was suprised by the rear of the car riding 1/2" higher than before. 2 years later and the ride height is the the same. Unless you just have a yen for the high-dollar type shocks, the local parts store can fix you up. The Monroes I just put on my truck ran $30 each from Advance. Gabriels and others can be had cheaper.
It's worth a shot and couldn't hurt. I've always figured traditional shocks have a "nice ride" lifespan of about 30,000 miles on average. I figure that if you put new shocks on and can actually tell the difference in ride quality then the shocks needed replacing anyway.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
go with 5 leaf mid eye springs.....they are firm but not jarring like the 5 leaf setup....

also get a set of KYB gas adjusts all the way around....

better steering control and won't let the car bottom out....

Heck I sat in back for a ride before the car got taken apart....
and at 245lbs, it didn't scrub the fenders...

and this is on a 69 coupe too!!! I also think the rear sway bar helps too!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts