Vintage Mustang Forums banner

best way to remove rust paint and undercoating??

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  RichLong 
#1 ·
i want to know of a way to remove rust paint and undercoating because i am sick of dealing wi9th my POS harbor freight sandblaster dont have the money to pay someone to do it or have the car diped. what other way can i remove the above????????

#2 ·
I suppose saying Sandblasting is the best way would be kinda out of line ehh ;)

You could try chemical stripping for the paint.
I know Randy (midlife) spent a long time laying on his back scrapping the undercoating off....if you don't mind investing in a lot of discs you could try grinding it off ::

#4 ·
all day saturday and sunday i was under the car with a propane tourch and a scraper taking the bigges part of the under coating off and then wiping it down with diesel. but there is still some and it is pissing me off. i dont have a garage so i have to cover the car with a tarp. and the bare metal keeps rusting, i picked up some primer today but there is still to much junk on it to prime GRRRRRRR. my car is the devil im telling you so many problems

#5 ·
Use an assortment of scrapers, wire brush with a scraper edge, and I used 3 drills each one had a differnt size/shape whire wheel on it. Wear a long sleve shirt gloves and one of those face shields choose one section and only work on that for that day so you do a good job you will get super dirty that will be the worst job throughout the whole resoration. good luck.

#7 ·
I know Randy (midlife) spent a long time laying on his back scrapping the undercoating off....
Never did I lay on my back, not with a lift in the garage!

If it is just undercoating, careful use of gasoline or diesel fuel will easily remove undercoating. You need a well-ventilated area and a lot of rags!

#8 ·
I've been using this 3M grinding wheel, its about 2 inches thick and looks like wire mesh coated with plastic. I have one for my POS high-speed Harbor Freight drill and I also have a few no-brand 4 1/2" ones for my POS Harbor Freight angle grinder. They work well on cutting the paint, rust and undercoating I've encountered in the trunk. With a wire wheel it was just melting amd smearing all over everything, but these wheels have been working well in removing everything. Granted I haven't come up against any undercoating that was super thick yet.

#10 ·
i am useing about 125 psi max on my compressor. i have a small 21 gallon 5 hp compressor from harbor freight which works good compared to the 20lb sandblaster
That's pretty high psi for sandblasting....I typically use 60 psi or so. The higher pressure likely means more wear on your nozzle tips as well.

#12 ·
#13 ·
WoW! That is one pretty wheel well.
I was gonna take mine to a dipper style stripper guy in Allentown, but SWMBO put the kibosh on that, due to the $1100.00 bill it would generate. I'm back to the sand blaster plan.
Funny thing is she agrees that #1 son's 68 XR-7 should be chemically dipped. Hmmm, we can spend the $'s on his car, but not mine. What's up with that? ::

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.