Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to install rear floor pans in my 66 coupe. While stripping the floor pan getting ready to cut out the old pans, I found that the previous owner had put a flat piece of metal in the rear foot wells and had welded it to the pans and the seat platform. I am afraid I will have to remove the seat platform in order to put the new pans in correctly. Are there any tricks involved to removing the seat platforms? Also how do you remove them without destroying the floor pan underneath. I have seen a drill bit that is made for cutting spot welds, but havent bought one yet. Is this the best way? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
The spotweld cutter will work, but you will need either a small air drill or a righ angle drill to get to the spotwelds along the rocker.

The floorpan under the platform will probably be very rusty and thin. If the rear floorpan needs to be replaced, the rest is probably not much better. You need to drill down just through the riser and avoid drilling through the floor. An air chisel with a thin blade makes life easier, but the old hammer and chisel will work as well.

That's about all there is to it.

Frank

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
In addition to the above, I've also used my 4 inch grinder, ground down the metal and popped the spot weld out, leaving the metal below good to go. You'll be able to tell that your getting there when the top part starts glowing aroung the spot weld. Then pry off with an old screw driver or stiff putty knife.
This method has worked for me with spot mig welds also. If your careful, you can sometimes reuse the ground off part. Sometimes. ::

1 - 4 of 4 Posts