Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you start a fresh motor, I know you break in the cam, but what about afterwards. I know to change the oil after 500 miles, but how should the car be driven? Should I baby it for a while, drive like the pope, or should I tear it up and drive it like I stole it. I know I need to get a lot of mixed speeds(city and freeway) to help the rings seat right. My SWMBO is tired of getting smoked by ricers, because I told her to take it easy. We have put just under 200 miles on the motor so far. How should I handle this? The car I am referring to is my wifes Capri. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I genuinely hope you're referring to an 80's capri, not those little rolling coffins, LOL /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Sounds like you have the right idea varying driving conditions. Thats what I do, and I don't exceed roughly 3500rpm.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
You are doing everything right. The longer you wait the better it will be for the engine. The engine needs to establish a wear pattern. I had about 500 miles on my last new engine and I could tell the difference in the way it ran. They where all highway miles. I am not sure what the majic number would be but I would guess that running it wouldn' hurt it as long as you are not running it to the extreme yet.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Things might be alittle quiet, here on the form. While everyone reflects on their lives, due to the lost of one of it's members. But it sounds as if you've got the hang of it. I say you can start driving it, as you normally would. Changing the oil, is never wrong. It's not changing it that hurts.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it's the Fox-body version, like the mustang. I wouldn't have it any other way. First time I saw one of those little Capri's from a distance, about 6 years ago, I thought it looked like a mustang that had shriveled in the sun. It's a nice car, got a power bulge hood, and I just put on a spoiler from an 87 GT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.