Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 68 428CJ short block back from the machine shop, it may be a few months before I have the time and money to buy the remaining parts and reassemble this engine. Looking for recommendations for storing this in the mean time. Thanks

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I have an engine on a stand that I put a tray of silica gel on top of and then covered with a very large trash bag. I taped up the hole of the horizontal pipe in the stand so no air can get in. The bag is then bunched closed onto that horizontal pipe and taped closed. If you are wondering what horizontal pipe I am talking about, it is the one that the 4 arms for the bellhousing bolt flange attach to. I oil down the freshly machined surfaces also.

John

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I have a small block Chevy block that I have had stored for 6 years & it looks just like the day it came from the shop. I sprayed every bare metal part with WD-40 then wrapped the whole block using a large roll of Saran Wrap.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, that is basically what I have done in the past. I will spray it down with WD40 and wrap it up good. Just wanted to be extra careful, since I have a good bit invested in this engine so far. FE = Freakin Expensive!

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Chris, WD40 will evaporate over time, I wonder if you would be better off using some other type of oil on it before you wrap it up?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I've had good luck with a lighter version of what old-timer's call 'cosmoline'. What I use has a easier film to break down than the relatively waxy cosmoline. I'd have to go out in the shop to get the brand name. I machine metal for a living so it comes in handy :)

In the old days, when we didn't have fancy coatings, we'd just dump 50 weight on the block and bag it (we had 'engine bags', a heavy mil plastic). When time came to build it, we'd de-bag and throw it in the parts cleaning cabinet and it would come out shiny and new. For a home user, a hot high pressure washer would work the same, with the pressure turned down. The heat breaks down the film.

Pat

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
LieuttenantDan said:
doug ford said:
Chris, WD40 will evaporate over time, I wonder if you would be better off using some other type of oil on it before you wrap it up?
Definately not when seran wrapped!! And in a garage.
+1 It will not evaporate under the wrap

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would recomend a spray called "corrosion block". I have used it before on all my boats and recently on a block that I purchased 6 moths ago. I sprayed the exposed cylinders, and the block is just laying on the ground in the edge of my garage door. It has gotten wet from rain and carwashes several times and the cylinders are still shiny.
Its like wd-40 but leaves a clear sticky coating, you can buy it at most marine supply stores.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,385 Posts
I use vaseline in freshly honed cylinders and on crankshafts. One nice thing about is that you can just put the engine together with vaseline on internal parts. Just a wipe to get any dust/junk that might have settled on the grease. Stuff like cosmoline you really need to completely clean off before the engine is put into service. Vaseline dissolves into hot motor nicely. Old school transmission builder still use vaseline on transmission internals. It also dissipates into hot transmission fluid very well.
A plastic bag/wrapping of some kind is pretty mandatory. It's no good having greasy parts sitting around gathering dust, bugs, sawdust, whatever. Seems like a little will always get on there, but still. Lowe's (and others, I'm sure)sells 55 gallon "contractor" heavy bags which work very well. Also nice for garage trash bags, you can toss all sorts of stuff into them that would slice a cheapo bag to ribbons. I've found you have to hide these bags from people who can't tell them from the generic and much cheaper lawn/leaf type bags. I even have to keep a decoy roll of cheap bags out in plain sight for my wife and kids to swipe instead.

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
I have SBC 400 block that's been stored for 10 years - zero rust. My garage is 80 years old and is far from climate controlled.

55 gal contractor bag
Sprayed with CRC's SP-350 corrosion inhibitor ($8.00 from Mcmaster Carr)
Sealed up the bag with duct tape and stuffed it under my bench.

·
Registered
35,295 Posts
I'd get a spray can of cosmoline. This stuff was used to preserve military equipment and spare parts in WWII. That stuff is usually still in perfect condition, and of course was intended for storage in deserts, jungles, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts