Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend bought a 1972 corvette for another buddy. Both love the old cars but have close to zero mechanical aptitude. local old school mechanics are very pricey in there area. SO, We trailer it to a friends shop and the fun begins. Pull motor and trans for rebuilding,I end up finding a 383 stroker from local performance shop, heard it run on dyno. Picked it up for 4K. My buddies instructions were to fix everything and I warned him this could go bad. Long story short, new stroker, new trans, new suspension fore and aft, new brakes including booster and master, new heater box, all new front end conponents, new quickfuel. All this before it goes to my painter............18K. Initial plan was for 10K, well I warned them. When this unit is done he will have around 75K canadian in it:unsure: for a show 1972 vette. In defense of the project the car will be very nice and my buddies dream will be fulfilled with this car.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Friend bought a 1972 corvette for another buddy. Both love the old cars but have close to zero mechanical aptitude. local old school mechanics are very pricey in there area. SO, We trailer it to a friends shop and the fun begins. Pull motor and trans for rebuilding,I end up finding a 383 stroker from local performance shop, heard it run on dyno. Picked it up for 4K. My buddies instructions were to fix everything and I warned him this could go bad. Long story short, new stroker, new trans, new suspension fore and aft, new brakes including booster and master, new heater box, all new front end conponents, new quickfuel. All this before it goes to my painter............18K. Initial plan was for 10K, well I warned them. When this unit is done he will have around 75K canadian in it:unsure: for a show 1972 vette. In defense of the project the car will be very nice and my buddies dream will be fulfilled with this car.
Found motor pic
View attachment 737816

View attachment 737816

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think we have all been there. Project creep is almost a given, once you start.

It gets worse if you need someone to do something that you can't do yourself. In Oz, the price trebles once they know its a classic/ steel bumper car.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
The more painful part is when you reach that point and realize you could have picked up a good quality fully restored car for 25-30K US, not sure what they run up there. That's when you tell yourself you're getting exactly the car you want and you would have had to spend another 10-20K on that 30K car to make it yours anyway... it's a circle that goes round and round.

After my personal mods, I have as much into my coupe as I would have spent on high end driver quality fastback, but it's mine. My best project has been my C10, I probably have less than 12K in that truck over 23 years and it's been a driver almost that entire time. My firebird will be the worst... by the time she's where I want it... I'll probably have 40K into it, fully knowing it's worth half that. They all started out as... I just want a cool driver... 😆

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I look at project creep differently....to me the best part about a car build is the build itself.....dont get me wrong, I love driving the finished product, but I get most of my enjoyment out of the build process itself...so to me, project creep is only a good thing...as long as its something I am capable of doing(or learning to do) myself.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I look at as the parts keep creeping out of the garage. Pretty soon the living room, spare bedroom, downstairs bath are all full of project car parts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The more painful part is when you reach that point and realize you could have picked up a good quality fully restored car for 25-30K US, not sure what they run up there. That's when you tell yourself you're getting exactly the car you want and you would have had to spend another 10-20K on that 30K car to make it yours anyway... it's a circle that goes round and round.

After my personal mods, I have as much into my coupe as I would have spent on high end driver quality fastback, but it's mine. My best project has been my C10, I probably have less than 12K in that truck over 23 years and it's been a driver almost that entire time. My firebird will be the worst... by the time she's where I want it... I'll probably have 40K into it, fully knowing it's worth half that. They all started out as... I just want a cool driver... 😆
This sounds like me.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Is there a Mustang project without creep? This is my second build and I have found that 15% creep is a given. Now I am doing a Coyote based Mustang build, make that 30%.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
No project creep here: Damn thing kicked down the door and marched right in! No, guess there was a little creep up to the point I decide for sure to go with a Coyote and determined the cowl would have to be replaced, then it was game on, I knew it was put up or shut up time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts