Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up. I have a "wanted " ad posted here and was contacted by someone that said he knew of someone that had the gear I was looking for and provided an email address. I contacted that person and we agreed on a price. The "seller" insisted on PayPal Friends and Family payment which I did not find unusual. It was a scam and I lost $80.00. Glad it wasn't more. The seller kept emailing me to see if I was still interested in the part after I sent the Paypal and even requested a screenshot of my payment, which I sent. Never heard another word and neither he nor the person who started a conversation with me here. Ignore my emails. After some research, I saw that the person that replied to my ad had just joined that day. I filed a claim with PayPal but they denied my claim...of course. Just dont get in a hurry like I did guys. You might get ripped off like I did.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
I refuse to pay friends and family. I'll pay the extra percentage to pay for business transactions. It is IME VERY unusual for someone to insist on friends and family.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did report him to the Mods but as of now, his account is still active.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I refuse to pay friends and family. I'll pay the extra percentage to pay for business transactions. It is IME VERY unusual for someone to insist on friends and family.
Good idea because there is absolutely no protection when using F&F.

·
Just some guy
20,011 Posts
The member is not "active". He joined just long enough to message Fitch about this. Zero posts or activity of any kind other than that. Took the money and ran. In the old forum we had rules that you couldn't PM other members until you had made some posts in the forum. At least participated a little. Now EVERYBODY knows why, right?

I've asked. Tech support has so far told me that they can't implement such a restriction with this new software for some reason. A shame, it wasn't perfect but it did stem the tide some.

When investigations are complete we'll "ban" the member in question. For whatever that may be worth.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
There's a reason its called Friends and Family, and its a great way to get money to friends and family. If people keep abusing it, Paypal will remove it.

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
Due diligence as always guys.

Think hard about trusting anyone, especially a new member with no board activity that answers your ad out of the blue, having exactly what you need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts