Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a girl this morning at work. Her husbands friend just sold his early 70's Corvette to a couple. They came out three times to look at the car and finally decided to buy it for $20,000. The seller wanted payment in the form of Cashiers check. Well the buyers (the same couple - male and female)showed up to purchase the car. They were two hours late getting there. They looked over the car one more time and left as proud owners of a Corvette. Well... come to find out that the Cashier's Check was reported as a stolen check. The check was not purchased by the buyers. They put a freeze on the sellers accounts thinking that he stole the check. Now he is being investigated and his car is gone. So the next time you sell take CASH ONLY.
P.S. I finally have the agents number to the bastard that hit my brand new 2002 ranger and fled the scene. I now won't have to pay a dime. He still owes me for my time investigating him. He isn't going to pay for it directly to me though. It's going straight to his insurance company.
Have a great day ya'll.
Brent

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
20K for a 70's vette? Wow, I thought they were all worthless in those years /forums/images/icons/smile.gif That problem can be easily fixed by calling the bank before handing the keys over.

·
Premium Member
19,225 Posts
I've had the buyer accompany me to his or my bank and deposit the check. That way I know it has cleared and the funds are mine.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
There was a 75 year old man who robbed a bank in Harrisonville last week. He didn't take money, he had them make out a $200,000 cashiers check. He went to a local Kansas City RV dealer and bought a motorhome with it. Even the RV dealer didn't call the bank. The guy made all the way to South Dakota before getting caught...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even in that event, if you go to call the bank things could get ugly. You are putting yourself into danger. If he knows your going to call he is forced to do something to escape his way out of it. Crime keeps going up and people are thinking up of more ways to get away with it. You probably didn't hear about MCA Mortgage Company. There are about two paragraphs of people that they are prosecuting. These people bought ran down homes all over the Detroit area and managed to get several mortgages on the same property at the same time. One house they purchased for $8,500 and managed to get five different mortgages on the same property in four years totaling $111,000+. It would eventually catch up with them but they were living it up. There were over 500 properties that they did this with. The title company probably caught what was going on when the first and original mortgage was closing. They did a search on the property and Wala! Gatcha!!! What goes through peoples heads? Be sure your sins will find you out.
Brent

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
well these people are certainly in trouble for using stolen funds to defraud another person....you.

THey have just left a paper trail that will ensure their trip to a cozy jail of the justice dept's choice.

make a police report, give them all of the info including the supposed stolen check. And give them all of the info on the car
and they will list it as a stolen vehicle into the NCIC system of
documentation.

And begin proceedings against them.

WHat a bunch of thieves!!!!
good luck and let me know what the progress is like.

Roberto

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
ooops misread the post.....not you but the victim got ripped off.....

I hope this gets straightened out!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts