Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to pass on this information in case someone is having the same issues I did... I was lucky enough to have the problem tracked back to tires before buying a new set of wheels.

My first set of BFG Radial T/A's (205/70R14) was installed in 2011 and started getting really bad radial walk with less than 2,000 miles. A warranty claim with BFG was made and they were replaced in 2016 with a new set of BFG's...

My second set of Radial T/A's were installed in 2016 and started having what I initially thought was balancing issues on the highway after roughly 1,000 miles.

The tire dealer laid all the blame on my steel wheels and had me convinced. Here is what I found out... Scott Drake standards for steel wheels is .045 run out for lateral and radial measurements. Mine tested was found to be within spec at .031 lateral and .032 radial. I could not have asked for better customer service from Scott Drake on what was found to be a non wheel related issue.

Back to the tires... I had another local tire center with a new expensive Hunter GSP9700 narrow the problem right down to the tires. It even keeps track of the wheel with lasers from my understanding. The machine used had a lug centric attachment and I could see the treads going all over the place while the tire was spinning! Belt shift!

Pictures attached showing the machine readouts for one of the tires. All four had belt shift.

In case you are wondering I now have a second warranty check in hand from Michelin and will not be going with another set of BFG's anytime soon...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
tires

Interesting. Has Michelin been having quality issues lately ? I've had several sets of BFGs and never had a problem. Admittedly, that was all more than 20 yrs ago,......do you know what you're going choose instead ? LSG

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
I thought the most common cause of belt shift was severe or consistent under-inflation. And banging into curbs and potholes of course, I've heard that can contribute.

Is there a higher probability of belt shift occurring in T/A's when compared to other performance category tires?
That's what I would want to know. :shrug:

·
Registered
447 Posts
I never had much luck with the BFG t/a myself. Used them on El Caminos and other heavier cars and they never really rode well and they would get hard pretty quick but nowhere near as fast as Goodyears. I ended up going with Yokohamas and had very good luck with them until they stopped making them. (the ones that were basically a slick with huge flat tread patches) Great tires but not that great in the rain.

I don't know of anyone here that has those balancers. Everyone has the plain jane ones. I wish Discount tire had them though. They are the main tire retailer here.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Having the same problem with the same tires - what do you need for the claim form? Ready to go to 15in and new tires. Mine have been balance twice and now we used beads - helped somewhat but still have a slight shimmy at 50-55mph. Only 2000 miles on them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Lost a fender in Nebraska doing interstate speed, do to ply separation. Later 2 had belt breakage. Seems that T/A's just fall apart at 5yrs of age. So there will be no more T/A's or chevy Silverado's in my garage.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
been using them my whole life going back to 1981, never had any problems,

back in the day was daily use including snow and ice storms and interstate trips.
they held up fine

are they the best, No
are they adequate for what I need, yes
what else is readily available 14s

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Having the same problem with the same tires - what do you need for the claim form? Ready to go to 15in and new tires. Mine have been balance twice and now we used beads - helped somewhat but still have a slight shimmy at 50-55mph. Only 2000 miles on them.
That sounds just like what I started experiencing on my second set at around 1,000 miles that got to point at 3,500 miles they were not drivable at 55mph with the driver window severely shaking.

I worked directly with BFGoodright on the phone instead of through dealer.
https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/contact-us.page

The dealer I purchased my tires from had a balancer that could not determine it was the tires and they were not very helpful!

Sending you a PM.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Interesting. Has Michelin been having quality issues lately ? I've had several sets of BFGs and never had a problem. Admittedly, that was all more than 20 yrs ago,......do you know what you're going choose instead ?
I haven't made a decision yet. I am without a doubt going to 15" since the 14" I feel is a loosing battle.

I thought the most common cause of belt shift was severe or consistent under-inflation. And banging into curbs and potholes of course, I've heard that can contribute.
I was running 32psi.

I don't know of anyone here that has those balancers. Everyone has the plain jane ones. I wish Discount tire had them though. They are the main tire retailer here.
That new Hunter machine (pictured) is very sophisticated and a nice piece of equipment! It has a large wheel that spins the tire and simulates the tire pressure driving on the road to analyze.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
BFGs are ( now) poor excuses for tires. They "were" good in the past before the Michelin purchase. I use Cooper Cobras or Hankook. NEVER had a separation or balance issue with them. After losing two BFGs ( front) to tread FLYING off at highway speed with in 200 miles of each other that ruined fenders and my interest in EVER using their tires. I'm thankful no one was injured in either occurrence.
Randy

·
Super Moderator
8,662 Posts
Approaching 10K miles on my almost two year old BFG’s. No issues to date. Drove to the NPD show in Ocala this year.

That reminds me, should probably take them back to Costco for balance and rotation.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Patrick,
Be careful!!! My fronts had at least 75-80% tread and about the same mileage as yours. No cracks or any indicators of an issue. All of a sudden at 70 mph on the interstate 250 miles from home ,( on the first one) there was a huge bang and thump ( bending the fender and denting the rocker panel). When I safely pulled over on the interstate , I saw the steel belts staring at me and the tire was holding air. I limped along at 20mph for 8 miles ( next off ramp) and another 4 on side streets to a tire store. Thinking it was a fluke I bought a used tire ( different manufacturer) just to get me to my destination. Made it there and actually forgot about it until on the way back about 100 miles from home , the other BFG started to thump. I slowed to 20 mph and limped it into a tire store and immediately bought four new Hankooks. End of issue
Randy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well this thread has me fairly depressed. Wish I'd known this before I bought a set of 225/60R15 BFG Radial T/A's to go on the 15x7 Legendary GT6 wheels I put on Little Red. The BFG's came recommended by the shop in Reno that was getting her back to roadworthy, but now I'm wondering what I can do to swap them out for something else now that I have her here in Georgia. I hate to spend the money on a complete set of tires when these only have less that 100 miles on them so far.

Any word on a potential class action suit? Y'all can't be the only ones that have experienced tread separation.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
i quit using firestones in the late 70s when i had tread separation problems. i quit using goodyears and goodrich tires in the late 80s when they got too expensive for the quality of tire they put out. these days i stick to kumhos, faulkens, or yokohamas(what i have on my mercury right now). i wanted to get some coopers but the tire store didnt have them in stock.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
i quit using firestones in the late 70s when i had tread separation problems...

This is why I won't buy Firestones. When I was a kid in the 70s, a family friend died in a trucking accident when his brand new Firestones came apart on the road. My dad bought a used LTD wagon that had 5 Firestone "721" tires and, within a few years, all 5 of those tires came apart on that car. Then, people may recall, there was another issue with Firestones coming apart back in the 90s and causing Ford Explorers to crash.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I just changed from a set of BFG T/As, 235/60x15, that had good tread but were 11 years old, to Cooper Cobras of the same size (upon the suggestion of @Huskinhano). I've been on the highway once and they are much smoother, but the age of the T/As makes the comparison unfair. The Cobras were two-third’s the cost of new T/As.

PS I checked the date code on the Cobras before they were installed, concerned they had been sitting in a warehouse somewhere losing half their useful life, but they were less than a year old.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts