Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I got a 68, 429 ThunderJet for $250. It is apart but I
think I did pretty good. It appears the I need a couple of things
for it. The distributer wasn't there or the carb. I will have to get a new camshaft as it was not stored upright. The crank was stored upright and it looks great. Does anyone know if the guide plates for a 429 Cobra Jet will work on that 429? I think I will get a Cobra Jet cam and guide plates for it. Does
anyone have the cam specs for a stock 429 Thunderjet and
429 Cobra Jet. I need the following parts. Distributer, Original
powered by Ford valve cover- oil fill side, carb and guide plates if they will work. A stock air cleaner would be nice
as well. E-mail me at [email protected] if you have any of
those items to sell. What was the carb for those engines?
This motor is going in my 64 Fairlane Sports Coupe.
Let me know if I did ok at $250.
Thanks in advance,
Kevin
1965 GT-K Coupe
1964 1/2 - V-8 Coupe
1964 Fairlane Sports Coupe
1967 Cougar XR7

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Distributor from any 351C, 351M, 400, 429, 460 will drop in and work.

Original carburetor was a 4300 Autolite, not the best for performance... Block the heat crossover and bolt on a Holley, Demon, or Edelbrock carb...

Stud bosses on non-CJ heads should be milled .300" (or the thickness of the guideplate) for everything to align properly.

Positive stop rocker studs should be replaced with adjustable (Boss 351 or 454 Chevy) rocker studs for adjustable valvetrain.

Camshaft is nothing special, call Crane or Comp Cams for a recommendation... An early 460 crank will drop in along with 460 pistons for an econo stroker.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
If you run the guide plates,you must run Hardened push rods also.I have some 429 460 parts for sale,let me know!FastE

G

·
0 Posts
When picking a cam remember that the 385 series engines need as much help as possible on the exhaust side so a split cam with more duration and lift on the exhaust valve is what you want. I do have a used distributor and the valve covers if you want to buy them. PM me if interested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts