Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to identify shock towers on a big block 1968 or 1969 fastback from those on a small block car. Also is it possible to put a 390 in a small block car.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Not sure about the 68 but in 69 and 70 the shock tower had a reinforcement plate that extends all the way around the tower rather than stopping at the edge, I've seen the same reinforcements on Cougars and convertibles even without the FE engine. Yes you can put a 390 in a Mustang that came with a small block, it fit's no problem since it was optional in those years. It will require some new engine mounts and it would be a good idea to upgrade the suspension to handle the additional weight.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
68 had 2 different styles of reinforced towers. Before about April they had extra welding to reinforce, after they used wrap around plates.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The seller lists these as 69/70's but from what I have seen these are 70 only. 69's do not have the notch at the bottom & the slope on top of the brace does not exstend down as far shortening the sides.:

·
Administrator
19,526 Posts
To answer the second half of the question, yes, it is very possible to put a 390 in a small block car. My fastback came with a 289. If you check out my website, you can see what I did to strengthen the shock towers.

www.tucsonpony.com/Trouble

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the great info guys. One last thing could a 69 sportsroof with a 302 come with reinforced shock towers?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Ford is famous for using whatever it took to keep the production line running. It's entirely possible that your 302 could have wound up with the big block shock towers. My 70 Mach 1 is an H code (351 2 barrel) and it came from the factory with the big block shock towers.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Sure it is possible. There is a SB 68 in my area that has one side with the brace & the other does not.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts