Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have a 1970 mustang fastback with a 302 and i want to drop a 429 in it and i was wondering what pieces of the supsention need to be beefed up ? and if any of you out there have these pieces please offer them to me ;-) any info on the swap would help
thanks
cole

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I dont think you're going to be able to fit a 429 in there without ALOT of work. the boss 429's had their shock towers and stuff altered to make room for the motor. an FE series motor (IE, 390, 428, etc) will fit much better, as you could order a mustang from the factory with one of thoes motors.

- Jason

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually this is a bolt in. It's a tight, tight fit but well worth it. I usually just re-build the front suspension & use a '71 429 CJ mustang spring or a new one from Moog. If you need headers, mounts, or anthing else, here's a link to Crites. A lot of other people make swap parts, this is the only one I have a bookmark for.
http://critesrestoration.com/mustang.htm

·
Registered
88 Posts
There is a real nice 69 in "Mustang and Fords" this month. This guy put in a Crate motor with 500+ cubes. A friend of mine did this same swap and it is tight but it is a real easy swap if you get the right parts. Good luck and remember,.....

POWER OF THE BIG BLOCK IS NOT FOR THE WEAK!

·
Registered
814 Posts
I did it about twelve years ago. As others have stated, it is tight but it will fit. You'll need to find swap mounts, 429 insulators (I used Ford Boss 429 parts, you could still get them over the counter back then), a short-nosed 429 water pump (I used a '69 T-bird pump I believe), re-build the suspension with big-block springs, get a set of swap headers (MU sells them for just under $400). Unfortunately, if these headers were like mine (made by Tubular Automotive), two of the tube cross under the oil pan. Because of this the crossmember has to be removed. Which means you will have to stiffen the front of the car with export braces, monte carlo bars, etc. As for shock towers being cut, the Boss 429 required this because of those massive heads. The run-of-the-mill 429 Crescent head is narrower than a Boss. But, if you want more room for spark plug access, you may consider notching the towers anyways. Just don't plan on carving any canyons with this combo. 720 pounds of 429 doesn't like to change directions very quickly. I have an old magazine article which outlines some of the things necessary for a swap. If you would like me to fax it to you, just PM me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I did this on my '69 about 10 years ago and it was the worst mistake I ever made with this car, basically because of the header problem, removing the crossmembers, power steering, etc. Handled like a tractor, with about 2" ground clearance. You will need lots of patience, $$$, etc.

On the other hand, I was young and in a hurry, so maybe if I did it now it would work better.

I went back to a 351C.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was going to do the same swap, but then found a '70 sportsroof that a guy had already done the swap. The way he did it required a ton of fab work but worked out pretty good. He took the whole front cradle (K member, rack & pinion, strut towers, spindles, control arms, etc) off of a '83-86 LTD II (fox body) and transplanted it on to the '70. The advantages are now I have rack and pinion steering, front disk brakes, and about 5" of clearance between spark plugs and inner fender. Bad part: Try explaning this to a header manufacturer - looks like custom headers for me.

·
Registered
814 Posts
A Cleveland was what I was originally going to swap into my '69 when I started the project. But, a friend started talking about how easy it would be to install a 429/460, and how much power it would make, and blah, blah, blah... So before you knew it, I was having big-block wishes, and high torque dreams. In the end, I wished I had stuck with my Cleveland plan.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Can't imagine why you would use a 429/460 instead of a 428 . 429/460s are about 100 pounds heavier ! Then if you replace the stock intake with aluminum there's another 50 pounds . The big plus is `70s came with them so parts are easier to come by.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here comes the arguement!!!!!!!!!! An FE hasn't nearly as much aftermarket(heads) or potential(557 ci) as the 460. Even in a stock form there is a marked difference. '69 Cobra Torino w/428 is lighter than a '70 Spoiler but I cam walk them all with a stocker. FE's are great engines, in Mach's & GT's where they were original equipment. Bang for the buck... hands down 385. BTW to prove I'm not down on FE's I'm in the middle of a swap for a '70 SCJ Mach(my affordable dream car)

·
Registered
680 Posts
I just finished the swap into my '70 Sportsroof....It is a lot of work. Everything has to be changed. Headers are a real pian it the A$$. Had to go with the C6 transmission, to hold the torque (Had a t-5 behind the 302)....On and on...
Would I do it again......HELL YES......Torque is unreal.....
Looks like a factory swap....Oh yeah, did I mention that it runs like HELL.....DO IT!!!
If I can help with questions, e-mail me. My address is in my BIO.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts