Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to tear my 428 CJ motor out. Is it possible to remove the head and the exhaust together as one part, without removing the short block??? Just seems like it would be easier than raising the whole motor and scratching everything up?

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I've never done it but I would guess you could once the intake is off. The head only has to come up and off of the alignment dowels and you should be able to walk then head up and inward to remove it.

Only one way to find out for sure.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Not alot of room but it can be done. Doing it alone wouldn't be wise. I helped my buddy do the same thing in his 66 Tbird. We eventually removed the whole engine and detailed it after it was out.
I would remove the engine, clean it and make sure all the gaskets and seal are new since you are going to all the trouble of removing the dist, intake, heads, exhaust, pulleys, etc.
It would be easier to do this on an engine stand. IMO
Good luck with the decision you make.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I think you will be way ahead just to snatch it out and then clean up the area do a nice rebuild ,,reinstall the engine,, the saved hassle will be worht it all

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You'll find it quicker to remove the entire motor. Go slow, use the correct tools (cherry picker, adjustable motor leveler, etc), have a friend and a few towels handy. You can pull it without hurting or scratching anything.

G

·
Put small pieces of 1/4-inch plywood along side those troublesome exhaust manifolds to keep the scratches and damage to a minimum !

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
i agree with CobraJet_Tim, pad the area and pull everything out together. I hate working leaned over the car and always worry about damaging the paint the more time i lean over it. To remove both heads then remove the engine and do the same on the re-install would add about 8 hour labor on both sides of the job.

Typically i would unbolt the manifolds and pull the heads on the engine. but i've seen a 68 big block and wonder if it is practicle in this situation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts