Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help is needed on this subject, I have acquired A 69 mustang Coupe that was originally equipped with a 302 & a C-4 auto. Should I stay with the 302, or go to a 351, or go to a big block & put in a 390?. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The car will be used as a weekend driver to cruises & shows.
Thanks, Mike.

G

·
0 Posts
Must be nice! You'll get a ton of answers on this & I'll get hate mail for sure but I'd bolt... yes bolt in a 460! No replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Even thought I own an SCJ, I would lean towards a bored/stroked windsor. Parts are ALOT cheaper and easier to get, they fit easier into the compartment, and makes the total package more balanced.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
460 heck. Stroke that 460 out to a 512. 813 lbs of torque. Ah, ah, ahhhhhhhh....

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Depends on what you want the car for. If an everyday driver, the 351W is going to be a hard engine to beat if you want decent performance without driveability problems.
If the car is for racing, look at the requirements for whatever class you're planning to run. That said, there ain't no replacement for cubic displacement. If a weekend fun car only, the 460 will give you torque like there's no tomorrow. A small block can be built to give big numbers, but you're stressing what you've got, and have to pay close attention to the build. Several places (Ford among them) sell 460 crate motors, which would make it a drop in proposition, with a lot of hp and torque out of the box.
You mentioned the 390. Without disrespecting the 390, there aren't a lot of performance or aftermarket parts for the engine, which makes it a bit expensive and difficult to seriously build the motor. You're also getting all of the weight of the big block, without all of the displacement. If you want to do an FE, I'd try to go to the 428, as it will be easier to get power out of.

Carl

G

·
0 Posts
Like the previous posts said it really depend what you intend to use it for. A fast daily driver can be easily had from a small block, but if brute force is what you are after then a big block it is. Big power/torque is more easily gotten from a big block (less money and less stress on components) than a small block. FE engines (390,427,428) would be more authentic? to have in your car but as was mentioned the performance market has really shrunk in favor of the 385 series (429,460). As far as physical fit the 385's are a little taller but more narrow than the FE's.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
302 - good choice
351w - good choice
390 - bad choice
Stroker 302 or 351w - bad choice
other big block - bad choice

Rationale...you said you want a weekend cruiser and show car hence bb gets you nothing but higher costs (you're not planning to drag race are you?) Who cares if its a stroker unless you race?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Should I stay with the 302, or go to a 351, or go to a big block & put in a 390?

What's the project budget and what cores do you currently have available for engine, trans and rear end?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I have both a '69 with a 351W and another '69 with a 428CJ--I find the 351W to be more "streetable" and very snappy; no problems burning the tires what-so-ever (if I were so inclined to do that). The 351W is just as fun to drive as the 428, and SSSSOOOOO incredibly much easier to work on! If you know anyone with an FE in a little, tiny Mustang engine compartment, try sticking your hand down around a couple of spark plugs and you'll see what I mean. Go for the 351W!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Definately go with the 351w. If you want big block power, the windsor can easily get it for you and in a '69 would still appear to be stock.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
How much of your money can I spend?

In all sencerity, go for a small block, or at most, a 351W. I agree with all the rationalle already listed.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Save your money and knuckles and go with a beefed up 351W.
Try pricing out all the items you will need to change to the BB. The 390 stuff and 428CJ parts are pricey.
Lots of potential power in the 351W and driveable on the weekend.
I've been piecing back together a 390 car for many years so I know how expensive some of the parts will run you.
MUCH MUCH easier to swap a 351W in there and parts are more abundant.
Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Go with the 302 or 351W. All the aftermarket companies have done the homework for you. I'm using the Edelbrock Performer RPM system on my 351W: 411 h.p., 409 lb-ft of torque, just bolt on the parts on the list and your there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts