Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have been working on a big brake upgrade for those of us with Granada spindles (should also work with 70-73 disc brake spindles with an added bushing). I have been wanting a relatively straight forward brake upgrade, that minimizes the use of custom parts, and uses stock Ford brake bits in an effort to keep costs down. After many hours of 3D modeling and trial fitments, I am just one step away from getting the bracket CNC machined en mass. But before investing in doing so, I would like to find out if anyone else is interested in upgrading their Granada (and 70-73 Mustang disc) brakes.

I would plan on providing only the bracket, and the remaining parts could be purchased at your favorite auto parts supply house. The bracket would allow you to upgrade to 12.5" brake rotors, 13.2" rotors, or (hopefully, haven't checked yet) 14" rotors. Below is the parts breakdown I have thus far...

• Calipers, rotors, and pads will come from 2011-2014 Mustang (choosing V6, V8, or the Brembo option will get you the three different sizes)
  • Brakes hoses may come from a 1998 Mustang Cobra (this isn't yet finalized)
  • Wheel hub and studs (for cast drum) will be from a 1965-1967 Mustang drum brake car
  • Wheel bearings and seals will be from a 1977-1980 Granada
  • A few metric bolts and a few standard bolts to slap it all together
All of the above, with brand new parts (for the 12.5" setup), cost me less than $400, the 13.2" setup should be about the same, the 14" setup maybe $100 more. The only thing missing is the cost of the bracket (trying to keep it under $200).

As always, wheel fitment will depend on what type of wheels you have. It is very very close, but I can't quite fit my 16" wheels over the 12.5" setup, they just barely rub the inside of the rim in two spots. I may (on my own setup) shave the caliper a bit to fit within my wheels, but under normal circumstances, a 17" wheel will be needed for both the 12.5" rotors and the 13.2" rotors. The 14" rotors will most definitely need 18" rims. Also, track width may increase up to 1/4" on each side (still need to measure this), so this may present an issue for some.

I know there are plenty of companies that sell big brake kits for our Mustangs, but I was only able to find one or two that sell a setup for use on Granada spindles, and they tend to be pricey because of the reliance on non-OEM parts. I also realize that this upgrade isn't for everyone, and its filling a niche at best. How big of a niche, I don't know, that's why I am asking!

Let me know your thoughts... and I will try and post some pictures here shortly.

·
Registered
10,176 Posts
I have interest. Cost dependent of course. I have seen a similar set up offered but they require buying every thing at once from them .If you offer just the bracket and a shopping list that would be great
Also the Granada changed to the Fox platform in 81

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have interest. Cost dependent of course. I have seen a similar set up offered but they require buying every thing at once from them .If you offer just the bracket and a shopping list that would be great
Also the Granada changed to the Fox platform in 81
Yes, the idea is you acquire all the other stuff via a shopping list, and I would supply the bracket.

And I fixed the Granada year range, thanks (I knew that didn’t look right).

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely interested. Very cool idea. Hopefully the track width wouldn’t change too much. Could be a deal breaker.
I know, I am sure like many others here, my tire to fender clearance is very tight. If you have to buy a new set of tires or wheels it kinda ruins the cost savings part of this route.

·
Administrator
19,773 Posts
2nd66's picture looks familiar. The GT-Nada setup. A simple bracket at the top, spacer at the bottom and you can fit SN95 PBR calipers. Limitation on those being you can only run stock sized Granada rotors. In my case I made the top bracket out of billet steel.

Dave, why all the extra hub and parts versus the simple GT-Nada way? Big offset problems to get around?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am very interested. I have Granada spindles on a 66. Do you know if the 2011-2014 rotors will require a higher volume of fluid compared to the Granada's?
I recently upgraded to rear discs and had to go to a 94-95 master cylinder with a 1 1/8 inch bore to keep the pedal firm. I'm concerned if newer front calipers will need even more. As far as I know the 94-95 master cylinder has the largest bore without going to a custom aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I would be interested. Someone used to sell a similar upgrade for Granada spindles and it was discontinued. Probably due to lack of demand.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave, why all the extra hub and parts versus the simple GT-Nada way? Big offset problems to get around?
More massive rotors. The late model rotors are 1.18” thick and are 1.5” to 3” bigger in diameter than the stock Granada ones.

I thought about just using the big Ford brake rotors (12” diameter, hub and rotor as one piece) but that would be all that bracket would work for. Using the late model stuff, one bracket will work for three different rotor sizes, and the user can upgrade brakes in the future by just purchasing new brake parts at the store.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am very interested. I have Granada spindles on a 66. Do you know if the 2011-2014 rotors will require a higher volume of fluid compared to the Granada's?
The effective caliper piston area of the late model stuff is less than the Granada (the Granada has huge pistons BTW). So if everything else remains the same, the later model stuff will require less pedal travel to move the caliper pistons out the same distance. In other words, the brake pedal will be higher and firmer than it was with the Granada calipers. So to achieve a similar pedal feel, you would change to a master cylinder with a smaller bore diameter.

Brake pedal feel will change with master cylinder bore size, pedal ratio, power or manual brakes, caliper style, etc. There are so many differences between the newer style caliper and the Granada that you can’t go on piston area alone to estimate pedal feel. But the good news for you is that they wouldn’t need a bigger MC!

·
Administrator
19,773 Posts
More massive rotors.
Nevermind. Brain fog, I was focusing on the wheel spacers for some reason. No idea where my head was at. I think I have a pair of '05 rotors around here somewhere. No joy, huh? I was considering using them for RV jack pads anyway.
I might could go for a pair of brackets. I have spare pair of bare Granada spindles but don't know if I kept any drum hubs. 15 years ago I didn't think they had any value. Doh!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I have a pair of '05 rotors around here somewhere. No joy, huh? I was considering using them for RV jack pads anyway.
Actually, 2005-2010 V8 rotors are the same as the 2011-2014 V6 rotors, so don’t turn them into jack stands yet! And just in case you have the calipers, same deal with those too.

I really wanted to make the bracket also fit the smaller V6 rotor for the 2005-2010 brakes, but haven’t made it work yet. Interferences are on all sides, there isn’t much wiggle room. It would be cool to add the 11.5” rotor to the arsenal (especially for those with 16” wheels), but I’m not sure I can make it work.

·
Registered
10,176 Posts
Actually, 2005-2010 V8 rotors are the same as the 2011-2014 V6 rotors, so don’t turn them into jack stands yet! And just in case you have the calipers, same deal with those too.

I really wanted to make the bracket also fit the smaller V6 rotor for the 2005-2010 brakes, but haven’t made it work yet. Interferences are on all sides, there isn’t much wiggle room. It would be cool to add the 11.5” rotor to the arsenal (especially for those with 16” wheels), but I’m not sure I can make it work.
I really like my 16" wheels
Nevermind. Brain fog, I was focusing on the wheel spacers for some reason. No idea where my head was at. I think I have a pair of '05 rotors around here somewhere. No joy, huh? I was considering using them for RV jack pads anyway.
I might could go for a pair of brackets. I have spare pair of bare Granada spindles but don't know if I kept any drum hubs. 15 years ago I didn't think they had any value. Doh!
A true Pack Rat/ Hot Rodder doesn't throw stuff out

·
Administrator
19,773 Posts
I just recall them being from an '05. V6 or not, I'd have to go measure them I guess.

I throw all kinds of stuff out. When the shop gets cluttered up enough to where I about fall and get hurt or don't have room to work on something in particularm... a fuse pops and away stuff goes.
Things I've tossed include a rebuildable 5.0 short block, a benchtop drill press with a weak motor, the plain no-AC heater box assembly from my '67...I hate it but I WILL clean out. Not much good at selling stuff but I'll trade like nobody's business. Some stuff I just give away.

·
Administrator
19,773 Posts
Or I may not. I may have a line on some "Porsche" Brembo calipers that may have possibilities. My mind having been corrupted by this thread: Brembo brake conversion done.

I'd have to research the stock rotors to see if something Mustang might be matchable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts