Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We lost Big Daddy Roth today. He was 69. Most of us old
timers remember his great cartoon drawings of unbelievable
Hot Rods. I remember bubble gum cards with his stuff on them.
Please say a prayer for the family and friends of Big Daddy.
His influence on the automotive industry is huge, and will
be remembered for a very long time. The radio station we
listen to here in the Monterey area "KPIG" played "Hot Rod
Lincoln", "Little Duce Coup" and "Buy Me A Mercury"
today for him at lunch time when the word got out. All of us
Hot Rodders owe him thank's for the design of some of the
wildest cars in the world.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Ohh man, this is the first I've heard about it. That's sad. Ed Roth was a GREAT customizer and quite the original. He was building wild stuff, star-treck stuff, before color TV. Big daddy was more of an automotive artist then your traditional customizer. I studied under George Barris in the 70's and he looked up to Ed. A true automotive legend, rock-on Big Daddy!

A moment of silence please...............

Hal
Love hard, drive fast, wear your seat belt.

PS, that's my 'bird...... My Mustang is too ugly to take pictures of yet........*G*.

http://www.teleport.com/~cosa/bird2.jpg

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Wow, that's too bad. I always liked his artwork. During his heyday of the 70s, I was just a young-un, born in 71. At the time I was busy being a kid. Now I appreciate his work.

He was an icon and will be missed.

[color:blue]
1967 Acapulco Blue coupe
302 4V, C4, 9" 3.25:1
Torq-Thrust "D" 225-60-14
1968 PDB, Corbeau
LeCarra, Alpine in-dash CD
http://www.geocities.com/mlnielsen_67/index.htm
WEBSITE UPDATED 3/25/01
</font color=blue>

·
Registered
313 Posts
That's too bad. I saw him just a couple of months ago at the Houston Autorama signing tee shirts. I grew up drooling over his customs. He definately had a 1-of-a-kind imagination.

Dave J

My wife says if I buy another Mustang, she's gonna divorce me. I'm sure gonna miss her....

G

·
0 Posts
Just have to say that Ed "Big Daddy" Roth inspired me and most of my model-building buddies of the Sixties.
I have a feeling that the Man at the Big Throne may have a spot for him on his staff up there.

http//usn.tripod.com/mustang&sequence=7&res=high.GIF
"Sometimes a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information."-The man with no name

·
Registered
391 Posts
We are all getting older, and each of our times will come when we depart this life. I accept that. When some leave, no matter how long they have been here, it seems just to early. It seems early for Ed Roth. In recent years I enjoyed reading his articles in Drive magazine, just another place to miss this guy. I hope and pray that God takes him to his heart.

Russ

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595962&a=12199293&p=44747301&Sequence=1&res=high.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
When I was a kid growing up the early 70's, his shirts were my favorites! Like the gray T with the jacked up, blown maverick with this wild looking, tasmanian devil-like character behind the wheel (his head and torso sticking up through the roof). Ed Roth was truly a one-of-a-kind innovator and icon of the musclecar era. God Bless him and his family!

70 Mach 1 (351C 4V 4-speed) I've been restoring since '96. 95% complete. Also have a '68 HT (289 2-speed) that I restored between '97-98 and is FOR SALE! The VMF has proven to be an invaluable resource for information, humor and excellent advice.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I like his Rat Fink and the bubble gum trading cards someone else mentioned. I wished I kept those cards but more "knowledgeable" siblings tossed them out for me.

Ed Roth was a great imagineer (okay, so that's a Disney word but it fits).

Condolences to his family, Friends, and fans.

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts