Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,430 Posts
Next on my list. Good thing I'm working 50 hours a week again. Since I'm running factory power steering I need to ask Shaun if the "special" drivers side outer tie rod used with the regular big spindles will work with his new drop spindles on my 65?

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,384 Posts
Next on my list. Good thing I'm working 50 hours a week again. Since I'm running factory power steering I need to ask Shaun if the "special" drivers side outer tie rod used with the regular big spindles will work with his new drop spindles on my 65?
The 'bend' on the 65-66 cars to clear the p/s ram is on the inner tie rod I believe. To use the new drop spindles you'd need to use our longer adjuster sleeves (because the steering arm is shorter and further outboard than stock) and a 70-73 outer tie rod end. I'm not 100% but I think all the V8 tie rods were 11/16-18 p/s or manual. I could be wrong though.

·
Premium Member
5,430 Posts
The 'bend' on the 65-66 cars to clear the p/s ram is on the inner tie rod I believe. To use the new drop spindles you'd need to use our longer adjuster sleeves (because the steering arm is shorter and further outboard than stock) and a 70-73 outer tie rod end. I'm not 100% but I think all the V8 tie rods were 11/16-18 p/s or manual. I could be wrong though.
This Outer Tie Rod End for 65-66 w/Power Steering & Big Spindles is the outer tie rod that I was referring to Shaun. It also has a bit of a kink to help clear the ram.I realize not many people are autocrossing with factory power steering, the older big spindles, and quick idler and pitman arms. I'm probably going to be the guinea pig on this one but I see no reason why it won't work. Also, the KRC pump was flawless on his first outing last weekend! Money well spent.

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
398 Posts
Big props to Shaun for this!

He is part of what makes this hobby so great.

Nice mustang upgrades made by passionate people!

·
Vendor
5,384 Posts
Big props to Shaun for this!

He is part of what makes this hobby so great.

Nice mustang upgrades made by passionate people!
That is really nice of you to say. Thank you very much.

I'm just a humble Mustang guy wanting better parts for my own cars!

·
Vendor
5,384 Posts
This Outer Tie Rod End for 65-66 w/Power Steering & Big Spindles is the outer tie rod that I was referring to Shaun. It also has a bit of a kink to help clear the ram.I realize not many people are autocrossing with factory power steering, the older big spindles, and quick idler and pitman arms. I'm probably going to be the guinea pig on this one but I see no reason why it won't work. Also, the KRC pump was flawless on his first outing last weekend! Money well spent.
Lets talk when you are ready for the spindles. I will figure out a solution for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts