Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '67 fastback which has the original 289 4v motor and 4-speed top loader. This is my first vintage Mustang. Hasn't even been shipped to me yet and I'm already thinking bigger motor. It'll be a weekend driver, not a show or race car, but I like to go fast :: Can't do the work myself and I was hoping for opinions on how to get the biggest bang for my buck? What would be the biggest bolt in replacement motor I could go with? Would it be cheaper to go with a bigger, rebuilt bolt in replacement motor or maybe do a bunch of mods to my original 289 (the 289 was supposedly rebuilt to stock 1k miles ago) Also worried about what the top loader can handle.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
toploaders are pretty strong trannys. I'd go with what alot of the users her have done. the 351W engine. it the same family of the 289-302 but is a little bigger and has alot of aftermarket sapport(not as much as the 302 but alot) they can make 300 easy, a little too easy. You should wait untill you have alot more knowlage about engines before you plunk down money for a bigger one. check out fordmuscle.com and read mags ,books, whatever, etc on ford engines and classic mustangs. It will help you to make an informed choice. make a plan,shop around, get or do the work and enjoy you classic stang. Start with a budget, a list of stuff that is more important(brakes suspention) a crate motor can be the cheapest way to make alot of power(demon carbs has crate engine carbs to make it even easier)

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
welcome! You will find a lot of help here :)

You might drive it a while and get the feel for what you want to do while you make plans and size up your budget. Theres a good bit you can do to the 289 for more pep, you can also use the 351, or you can stroke the 289 you have. Those are the best options available, you can research the pros and cons of each one with the help of the ppl on this site and then make your decision.

Your toploader will handle any of these options.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
the toploader will be able to handle what u throw at it as long as its in good working order.... i think you should stoke that 289 out to 347.. its a real sleeper. bc between the shock towers you have what looks to be a plain jane 289, but when you get on it, its a whole other story. i have friends whove got stroker motors, and i think they offer more punch than youl ever need for the street anyways

1 - 5 of 5 Posts