Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I decided since I need to replace my radiator I’m going to upgrade it to aluminum and use a bigger sized radiator 20" or 24" from 67+ mustangs, the car doesn’t have an a/c at the moment and I would like to install one soon.

My question is do I go with a 20" which will require minor fabrication or should I go with a 24" which I assume will require relocating the battery which I’m no fond of. I don’t plane on changing the radiator support sheet metal. My Car has a 289 engine which will be kept more or less stock with just the addition of an a/c
I know people have done these conversions before and I would really like to hear you input and advice.

What other things to do I need to change, I will require the hoses, a fan shroud will the existing transmission line fit in to the upgraded radiator without any issues? Will I need Lower and Upper Mounting Brackets for the radiator? Do I need to upgrade the fan, more blades, fan clutch? An extra electric fan etc?

How may rows and or cores ?

Btw I plan on buying a Champion Radiator

I’ve already seen this, there isn’t much details.
radiators

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Save yourself the time, effort and cutting up your mustang.

A properly working, high capacity 20" aluminium radiator with a full shroud, and properly spaced 6 blade fan should be more than enough. It was on my performance 351W in the 100+ degree Sacramento summers.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I agree with GT250Kone, as I always do.
Get a 3 or 4 core radiator, improved deep fan shroud and good fan.
Move on to next project.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a '66 with a 351C in it and I use an aluminum Northern direct replacement radiator that I got from Summit. It bolts right in using the stock mounts. I have a fan shroud from NPD and a 5-blade flex fan from a '70 Mustang. This set-up keeps my warmed over Cleveland cool so it should have no problem cooling a basically stock 289.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I have a '66 with a 351C in it and I use an aluminum Northern direct replacement radiator that I got from Summit. It bolts right in using the stock mounts. I have a fan shroud from NPD and a 5-blade flex fan from a '70 Mustang. This set-up keeps my warmed over Cleveland cool so it should have no problem cooling a basically stock 289.

Did you go with the staggered outlet/inlets or the stock 65-66 style with passenger side only? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Also,

Check out Summit Racing, they have USA-made, direct fit, 2 row, 1-inch tubed aluminum radiators for $250-300.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Save yourself the time, effort and cutting up your mustang.

A properly working, high capacity 20" aluminium radiator with a full shroud, and properly spaced 6 blade fan should be more than enough. It was on my performance 351W in the 100+ degree Sacramento summers.
Which brand radiator did you get? and whats part number?

whats the part number? is it 205030 ?

I'm surprised to hear that you guy don't recommend changing the size. I always read and hear people complain about the small sized radiators found in the 65-66 stangs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did you go with the staggered outlet/inlets or the stock 65-66 style with passenger side only? Thanks.
I went with the staggered outlet version because that's the way the outlets are on the 351C, but I think they offered the outlets on the same side also for the 289.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
I'm using the same stock style 3 row copper/brass radiator th at was in the car when my bought the car in 2003. The only think I changed was I got a 5 blade 17" fan from a Ford truck in the junk yard. That solved my problem. My 289 is running a mild cam with flat top pistons. I bought a shroud too but haven't installed it yet. I considered going with aluminum but changed my mind. If I still had a cooling problem I might consider it but why spend the money if I don't need to.

I think there is still some controversy of whether copper exchanges heat better than aluminum. Aluminum does offer larger rows so it increase the surface area.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
There shouldn't be any controversy - copper has much better thermal conductivity than aluminum. Aluminum radiators work better because of better design (i.e. more surface area).

Thermal Conductivity of some common Materials

MrFreeze

·
Registered
2,834 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, yet. If you have issues with it, already, then yes. I'm not sure if the K-code had a different radiator(I think they are the same as A-codes, etc), but my Dad's heavily modded '65 ran a stock one and never overheated in Central Florida summers even during traffic jams. No shroud, 6 blade after market aluminum flex fan.
Steve

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I got the Fastback's aluminum radiator from Crites. It's a quality radiator and they supply the installation kit. The 65/66 battery box is an issue. I converted mine to an over/under type clamping mechanism and removed the lower side clamp. Most people do not notice since the battery placement is unchanged. Some years after I did mine, I believe I saw that one of the Mustang vendors had a kit for converting the 65/66 battery box to the 67 type clamp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts