Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I where at a local car show in Justice Il. today when he pointed at a grill on a 66 Mustang like ours. He did not touch it in my opinon, (maybe he did, if a fly landed on this car today it put more weight on it than his finger) Anyway this guys starts going off "don't touch my friends car, its not yours bla bla." I look at the guy and say hey if he touched it it was accidental. We have one just like it and he has to put the grill back together and we were looking at this one. I never say anything negitive about anyones car, an old timer tought me no matter how bad or nice the car is never say anything bad. To each there own. There were 4 guys with him and my son and daughter and I. I was so pissed i was ready to kick his ass for embarassing us. sorry for the rant but I had to complain and hopefully this axx will see this and realize he was wrong. Unfortunatly he does not have the class to be in this group.
Oh yea my 66 is 10 times better....

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I agree that he overreacted. On top of that it wasn't even his own car! I train my 5 year old not to even look like he is touching or getting too close to the cars. My friends car one time came home from a show with a scratch in the door from some doofus leaning in to look at the inside and his keys must have hit the door. It would be nice if we could all trust that all people have the same sense of intellegence but its just not the case. I have reacted to people who get too close to my cars, especially the dumb ass kids that ride their stupid gas power scooters recklessley around the cars. But I have also sat by and watched as people got close but were respectful and never said a word.. Sad to say that trash is everywhere. Don't get arrested getting into a fight because the guy embarrassed you. You will lose. Why? simple... its his car you won't have a chance. You did the right thing in verbally confronting him then walk away. Chances are the redneck trash loser has his whole life wrapped up in what his friends have and he feels a need to protect it as if it was his own. Seems to me, he's lacking something somewhere.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Sorry but from my point of view and experience, I would be the A-hole and over-react first than hesitate reacting to seeing a kid poking at my car and risk having damage or even oily fingerprints which annoy the heck out of me to keep cleaning.
Maybe your son wasn't touching, but I have had far too many kids leaning, climbing, riding bikes, banging toys, poured drinks, jumping dogs, and strollers etc ramming into my car and even taking my belongings off my car, not to overreact now when it appears someone is even thinking about getting near who shouldn't, especially kids.
I'm glad you are a respectable person who teaches your son to respect others property, but too many people bring their rude and disrespectful brats to car shows and don't teach them to keep their hands off. It's because of that some of us have become overreacting a-holes.
One of the worse I saw was a kid pushing a stroller behind a couple of cars and push the car owners chairs and cooler out of the way into the cars. The mother wasn't watching while talking to someone. I yelled at the kid and the mom ended up yelling at me not to discipline her kid. I told her she and her brat did not belong at the car show.
Last week at my car show, which I was chairperson, I had to ask adults on bicycles to leave the show site. They didn't like me either.
Yup, I'm a A-hole, but I think other car owners appreciate me!
J.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I am sure it seems petty to some but there is proper etiquette that should be followed. If it was your car in a show and your friend asked someone not to touch it you would most likely defend your friend and his position. I am the worst in the world at looking close at every "cool thing" I find but I "try" to keep my distance. If the guy wasn't diplomatic that's a shame but as my wife tells me at least once at every show I've been to, "don't touch that". ::

·
Registered
369 Posts
Since the Mach1 got done in mid July, i've been to 3 car shows; two of which i took my 4 year old daughter. I've told her the importance of looking but being VERY careful to not touch. When i lean in to look at interiors or engine bays, im super careful to make sure my sun glasses, keys, camera, etc dont fall off me and land on someone's paint. I see this as common sense but in just 3 shows, im kinda surprised that more common sense isnt shown. The kids aren't to blame, the parents are. Its more stressful bringing my daughter to shows, but she has already learned respect and etiquette; and thats a lot more than we can say for some of the adults ive seen!

Mike

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
In most cases, I've found people are respectful and knowledgeable enough to keep their distance, but there's always exceptions. The 260 engine always brings out the "experts" that want to point out something to their buddy. At Knotts this past year, while under the special "Previous Year's Winner" awning, one bozo started tugging on my one-only tar-top battery! Usually I'll overlook a touch or a brush, but I had to ask him "Can I help you!!??" He muttered something about seeing how it was held down without the over-the-top hold-down of the later models. Yeesh!!

My wife is really good about keeping the overly curious away. She's a 6' Swede, and nobody gives her any guff if she politely asks them to back off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts