Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased both front and rear shocks (Street valve) for a Xmas gift to myself. While installing the rears and as I tightened both upper and bottom nuts to spec, noticed that if I continued torqueing (34 lb./ft. spec) that the cup washers were going to either pancake/bottom out against the mounting surfaces and/or have it pinch what will soon be the extruded bushings. I've have always tightened bushings on shocks to a "bulge point" beyond the washers used but not to the extreme. I've tightened these to that point and perhaps beyond and I know I'm not anywhere near that 34 lbs./ft spec.. I intend to call the distributor and inquire but wanted to get some other opinions here first. My first thought is: should torque wrenches be used on a bushing application such as this? But then how would they come up with the specific spec? So I guess I've answered my own ?. I've lowered both my torque wrenches to 20 and haven't ratcheted yet. As always, thanx for the response.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
It is way too high! I stripped a shock trying to get to that spec. I reported it to either SoT or OT, can’t remember which. They called Bilstein who confirmed the spec was wrong 1st saying I must have read it wrong until I sent them a pic of their instruction sheet. Then they said it shouldn’t have stripped and my torque wrench must be off. Yea right... so I ended up having to buy a new shock, and tightened them just until the rubber bulged a bit. They drive great. Bottom line, great shocks, poor customer service. It’s been two years since I reported it and sent in pics of the instructions, and they still haven’t fixed the instruction sheet.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I just put the same shocks on my coupe 2 days ago. Thought torque spec was too high also. Tightened to a bushing bulge. Bottom nut is a nylock so I’m very confident with that one. Top nut I put some medium thread locker on it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx to BlakeTX for starting my morning off with abit of humor, always in the need for that. And Thanx to all for sharing your experiences and confirming my "shade tree" suspicion. Now that I've overloaded the bushings abit, I've been backing them off a 1/2 - 3/4 turn the past 2 nights prior to my post. Do you think they'll rebound enuf to maintain adequate "gripping" pressure?

·
Premium Member
7,281 Posts
Thanx to BlakeTX for starting my morning off with abit of humor, always in the need for that. And Thanx to all for sharing your experiences and confirming my "shade tree" suspicion. Now that I've overloaded the bushings abit, I've been backing them off a 1/2 - 3/4 turn the past 2 nights prior to my post. Do you think they'll rebound enuf to maintain adequate "gripping" pressure?
Just back off to the recommended "squish". You'll be fine.

Reactions: allsixofus

·
Registered
154 Posts
As with others, I stripped both studs out of one of my front shocks while replacing all 4 with Bilstein's from Open Tracker. OT was great to work with though, I told them exactly what happened, they had their Bilstein rep send me a new shock, I sent the old one back, all good. And NO I am not tightening to their specks. Used the Ford manual for specs!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I asked my self the same question when I installed my Bilstein shocks. Snug is sufficient , no issues in three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
809 Posts
I ordered the sports for the front of my 65 fastback as well as the standard rears. I don’t remember if they came with instructions or not, I don’t believe they did, but I’m not usually one to follow instructions anyway. I tightened them until they were snug with socket wrench and haven’t had any issues. I recall several years after that someone had stripped the nuts or threads off their shocks when installing them and mentioned the recommended torque ratings. I thought that was an insane amount for a shock.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,198 Posts
Reactions: allsixofus

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
I ordered the sports for the front of my 65 fastback as well as the standard rears. I don’t remember if they came with instructions or not, I don’t believe they did, but I’m not usually one to follow instructions anyway. I tightened them until they were snug with socket wrench and haven’t had any issues. I recall several years after that someone had stripped the nuts or threads off their shocks when installing them and mentioned the recommended torque ratings. I thought that was an insane amount for a shock.
That was probably me!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts