Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 73 Mach 1 that I'm doing the suspension on. I already have the following, TCP 4.5 mid eye leaf springs, Eaton 1" lowering springs (385lb rate), Bilstein sport shocks front and back. I purchased the shock tower brackets from the 67-70 mustang so I can use the bils on my mach. My question is I'm reading a lot about how this shock should have a stiffer spring than what I'm using, but my question is is it going to be a problem if I do use it as such? My intentions for the car is a spirited street cruiser. I was hoping the new lowered factory rated springs with a slightly stiff shock would give me the smooth ride but firm if I want to throw it around. I know I could of went with the street versions but since I was lowering the car and going with a stiffer rear with the 4.5's that the sports would compliment the whole set up better. I was also worried that the 500-600lb springs would make it too stiff for me on the street. So what do you think? Think my combo will work ok? Thanks

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
I d know how much help I'll be. I have a 66 with a full SoT front suspension. My front springs are the GT and the rear are the original, sagging leaf springs. With all the bearings in the front suspension, my opinion is it just killed the spring rate. I swear my car is over all softer spring over the stock front suspension with rubber bushings. I'm 170 pound and I could bottom the front by sitting on the fender with the Monroe Matics I had in at the time. I would like to go a little stiffer in front and a lite stiffer in back but new springs aren't in the budget and I needed better shocks before the springs.

I vasilated between the Street and the Sport Bilstein. In a knee jerk I bought the Sports. I have no regrets. My limited experience with them, I think the Sports will work well with the stiffer springs. They seem to be loose if that's a good term in normal driving with a good ride up to the point when they need to control the suspension under spirited driving. Even then, my Impression is that they are firm but not harsh. In contrast the KYB I had on before the Monroes were just harsh. After about 100 miles of which about 99 were too many, I yanked them out.

I don't know if this helped but at least you know my thoughts are on them. You could also contactor Shaun at Street or Track. He can give you expert advise and experience.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I d know how much help I'll be. I have a 66 with a full SoT front suspension. My front springs are the GT and the rear are the original, sagging leaf springs. With all the bearings in the front suspension, my opinion is it just killed the spring rate. I swear my car is over all softer spring over the stock front suspension with rubber bushings. I'm 170 pound and I could bottom the front by sitting on the fender with the Monroe Matics I had in at the time. I would like to go a little stiffer in front and a lite stiffer in back but new springs aren't in the budget and I needed better shocks before the springs.

I vasilated between the Street and the Sport Bilstein. In a knee jerk I bought the Sports. I have no regrets. My limited experience with them, I think the Sports will work well with the stiffer springs. They seem to be loose if that's a good term in normal driving with a good ride up to the point when they need to control the suspension under spirited driving. Even then, my Impression is that they are firm but not harsh. In contrast the KYB I had on before the Monroes were just harsh. After about 100 miles of which about 99 were too many, I yanked them out.

I don't know if this helped but at least you know my thoughts are on them. You could also contactor Shaun at Street or Track. He can give you expert advise and experience.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure I'll like the shocks I was just more concerned that I had enough spring rate to be ok for the shock. These shocks were designed for a 64.5-70 mustang. Mine is a 73 and I'm changing out the strut tower brackets just to use these shocks because of how much confidence I have in them. I was under the thought that the sports and street were close to being the same but the sports were better with lowering springs because they were shorter. I hope the Eaton 385lb spring rate, roller perches and TCP 4.5's in the rear make for a nice street setup.

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
I honestly don't know if there is a difference between the Sports being shorter if I'm reading that right. I think it has more to do with the valving better matching spring rate. I've known Shaun for a long time, he didn't try to talk me out of the Sports. Originally I was going to buy the Street version since my car is a street car. My focus was and is to have a car that handled very well but rode like a stock Mustang and not an unloaded dump truck. With the Eaton GT coils and stock leads in back with the Monroe Matics, it handled pretty well. It rode like a wallowing Caddy. Since I could drive it a little more spirited, it was just too much for the Monroes.

On my suspension I did everything at one time so I can't honestly comment on any one component but I have a bunch the roller spring perches are going to make the car ride softer even with the GT springs. Again, my whole front end is bearing, everything.

Since you are planning on driving it, I would suggest looking into tubular lower arms with a mono bearing down the road. The lower control arm bushing takes a beating. The mono bearing doesn't bind, works in all planes and works constantly the same no matter what. To me it adds that little extra polish to your driving experience. Between them and the struts I can jamb on the brakes with no hands on the wheel and it just stops nice and straight. Even when I still had my front drums. I tried it at 50 mph, no muss no fuss.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I honestly don't know if there is a difference between the Sports being shorter if I'm reading that right. I think it has more to do with the valving better matching spring rate. I've known Shaun for a long time, he didn't try to talk me out of the Sports. Originally I was going to buy the Street version since my car is a street car. My focus was and is to have a car that handled very well but rode like a stock Mustang and not an unloaded dump truck. With the Eaton GT coils and stock leads in back with the Monroe Matics, it handled pretty well. It rode like a wallowing Caddy. Since I could drive it a little more spirited, it was just too much for the Monroes.

On my suspension I did everything at one time so I can't honestly comment on any one component but I have a bunch the roller spring perches are going to make the car ride softer even with the GT springs. Again, my whole front end is bearing, everything.

Since you are planning on driving it, I would suggest looking into tubular lower arms with a mono bearing down the road. The lower control arm bushing takes a beating. The mono bearing doesn't bind, works in all planes and works constantly the same no matter what. To me it adds that little extra polish to your driving experience. Between them and the struts I can jamb on the brakes with no hands on the wheel and it just stops nice and straight. Even when I still had my front drums. I tried it at 50 mph, no muss no fuss.

That's why I'm hoping that I'm not under spring rating my shocks? I spoke to someone at Hotchkis and they seem to think I'll be ok. It say's spring rate up to 600lbs doesn't say much about the low end?

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
That's why I'm hoping that I'm not under spring rating my shocks? I spoke to someone at Hotchkis and they seem to think I'll be ok. It say's spring rate up to 600lbs doesn't say much about the low end?
I'm thinking being under spring is not going to damage the shocks, it just may not be optimized. If there are any issues with the combination, I think it'll be more you wanting a stiffer spring more then anything.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
I have a 1965 fastback and is obviously slightly different than yours but here were my findings when I upgraded some of my suspension pieces. I had, from what I could tell, the original coil springs and leaf springs with KYB gas a joke shocks. I did my suspension in stages as I couldn't afford everything at once. First off, I got the Bilstein sport valved shocks and installed those with the original suspension pieces and right away noticed the ride quality was much better. But with not having done the Shelby drop yet, having the stock coils still in the car and stock UCA's/LCA's etc, the front didn't corner well at all and drove nice and smooth like a cadillac. Next I did the Shelby drop, put on new Moog UCA's/LCA's and Maier racing .620 1" drop coil springs and roller spring perches. These were obviously much thicker than the originals and with the sag of 50 years the new coils sat higher than the old ones did, so I cut off about 1/2 of a coil. I installed those with all the other new pieces, Maier racing 4.5 leaf mid eye leaf springs and now the car has a good ride quality to it and handles great in the turns. The only regrets that I have is that I wish I would've gotten maybe some roller LCA's/UCA's, adjustable strut rods and a crossmember that ties into the LCA's. I'm debating whether I want to spend the money on that or something else but have heard doing those things will free up the suspension, make for a smoother ride and make it that much easier to align the car. Hope this helps

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I feel a little bit better about moving forward with this combo. I'll report back once I get everything installed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts