Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We often see this type of question in this forum so I thought I'd provide some real feedback. I've been running bilstein sport shocks for the last 2+ years in autocross. Have been super happy with them. As my car got better (my skills still suck) I came to the realization my suspension needs improving. Currently running a full SoT front and 5 leaf rear and Maier panhard, w bilsteins sports all around on RE71s 235/45/17s all four corners (66 coupe). As I watched videos of runs I saw my front was loading and unloading allot under braking and acceleration. Spoke w gurus who said I need more rebound. In other words braking into a corner my shocks are not providing enough compression thus loading up my springs and unloading my rear, and exiting the turn my springs are releasing that stored energy due lack of rebound sometimes causing a push into the next turn or loose on exit. So what did I do over this season break? Picked up a set of Hotchkis APS adjustable 1.5s. Shocks are already out of the car so I did an immediate out of the box 190lb/5'10" test. Baseline, the sport shocks fully compress at roughly 8 seconds, and full rebound takes 7 seconds. The hochkis fully soft takes 8-9 seconds to fully compress and same to rebound, but full firm takes 14 seconds to compress and an insane 20+ seconds to fully rebound. I guess I wont have any excuses for my suck driving after this and will have to improve my skills cuz I'm running out of excuses.

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,352 Posts
Interesting study. Shocks need a dyno to compare. Leaning on them or bouncing the corner of the car is like licking tires to see how grippy they are. :) Bilstein do all our dyno work now but I have a few independent local places if you want to send in the shocks to compare.

The real test will be in your driving and lap times. If you are a good enough driver to be continuously consistent within a few tenths over and over, AND smart enough to figure out what changes would help, all while cones are coming at you fast, then you are a good development driver.

I've used those tires before, they are pretty grippy!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shaun, you're absolutely right regarding the shock dyno sheet. Some of us cheapo fixed income types can't afford a custom tuned shock like JRi. Weird, had KYB, bilsteins and now hotchkis and never got a dyno sheet, wonder why? Had to resort to cave man kickin, and then drivin em. Looking forward to beating the hell outa these and comparing videos.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
It will be interesting to hear your results groho. I'm still in the dart without feathers stage of autocrossing and wouldn't know what to adjust!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts