Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all trying to install front shocks on '69. Have Bilstein street shock. Car on jack stands. I cannot pull these shocks down to install them! They will not move! Any suggestion would be welcome.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
So do you have all the bolts out for the top and bottom? Once the bolts are out the shock should just drop out, but you could use a small pry bar on the bottom if it is stuck.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I am trying to install them, not remove.

Sorry. Can you pull out the rod as far as it will go, put it in, and attach the top nut first? The bottom will hang below the mounting plate and you then should be able to push up the bottom of the shock.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Loosely bolt the bottom and literally lift the car off the jack stand on that corner by the LCA. These f*ckers are short. Forget trying to bolt the top first. I did this just yesterday on my 65. Even then I had to use screwdriver handles to force the shock onto the top shock mount. Not fun.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I can not pull out the rod AT ALL. It will not move.

Have you tried spraying the rod with WD40 as it should move easily? If still nothing try calling the place you bought them or Bilstien and ask them HTF do you get the rod to move. I don't remember them being this difficult when I put them out my 69 Mach1 years ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts