Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something just happened this afternoon and I am not sure I know how to explain it.

I have a '67 289 coupe and I had just come out of the grocery. I turned the key and the engine cranked once and then all went dead. (This is not all that uncommon, I haven't installed a new battery tray yet and the connection sometimes gets a bit loose)

What usually happens is I open the hood, pull the wires off the terminals of the battery, put them back on, and the car starts and I go on my merry way.

This however was not the case.

I put the wired back on the battery and the starter started to turn and the engine started to crank and then it fired up and started running. Shocked I started running for the drivers seat to turn off the ignition until I realized I had the keys in my hand. I put them in the ignition and turned the ignition switch on and off, but the engine kept running.

I disconnected the battery and then the coil wire and the engine finally died.

I pondered what to do next. I put the coil wire and battery wires back on and nothing happened.

I got behind the wheel and the car started and ran flawlessly all the way home.

Now I am at a loss. Am I courting danger? Will my car start tonight as I sleep?

I would love to hear any and all opinions and suggestions!

Thanks!
Brian

·
Premium Member
19,212 Posts
Your solenoid (next to the battery) is on it's last legs. The contacts were stuck. Next time, whack it with something hard, and see if that breaks the contacts for the starter. You're better off replacing it.

Sometimes, though, it's the keyed ignition switch that goes bad. Rarely.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Now thats something that sounds familiar. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
Midlife is absolutley right. I/we found out that the starter solenid was causing exactly the same problem at my 66 Hardtop.

A new one costs like $20 and is easy to replace. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
I suppose you dont like to go and hit your solenid with a hammer, each time it is stuck...! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif lol

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a similar thing happen to me after attempting (and ultimately failing) a jump start. The jumper cables got real hot while trying to start the engine, so I stopped and gave up on the battery. Once I installed a new battery, I found that the starter solenoid had welded itself closed (i.e. current running to starter) when I had been jumping it. A new solenoid (plus the new battery, of course) took care of it.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,196 Posts
Sounds like you need battery cables, or new cable ends at least. AND a new solenoid.
This happens a lot when there is a hard current draw. Like the mentioned jump-starting a dead battery. Also caused by dragging starters, bad grounds, corroded battery cables, and likely some other stuff too. Once a solenoid has stuck, it WILL do it again. Replacement is a must.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
don't know if anyone has suggested it, but might want to replace the starter solenoid....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts