Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,I WANT TO PAINT THE DASHBOARD AND INNER DOOR AREA SEMI GLOSS BLACK.I THINK THAT IS THE CORRECT NAME FOR THE ORIG COLOR.
I AM LOOKING FOR THE CORRECT MIX FORMULA.
I HAVE TRIED THIS : 2 PARTS 2K PAINT
1 PART HARDENER
0.5 PART THINNER
PLUS 50% FLATTENER AT LAST.
I AM NOT SATISFIED WITH THAT.
ANYONE WHO HAS THE CORRECT MIX CODE , PLEASE REPLY

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Are you talking about charcoal black metallic? I see you have a 67 so I assume thats what you are looking for. PPG 32586

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I THINK THAT IS THE CORRECT NAME FOR THE ORIG COLOR.
One of the reasons for the confusion was that Ford called it "black" though it was really Dark Charcoal Metallic as Tim listed above. IF you do a search you will see this is a common topic here and you need to know how to undercoat it as well as prep the surface to get the best, most original finish for your restoration

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeff_Speegle said:
You need to know how to undercoat it as well as prep the surface to get the best, most original finish for your restoration
Could you tell me the right way to apply this charcoal paint.Thanks.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
B67FSTB said:
Could you tell me the right way to apply this charcoal paint.Thanks.

-In areas where there is grain I suggest that they get stripped down to bare metal (paint remover using a fine, brass brush)

-Treat any surface rust with a remover and converter

-Then over this (some use a very light coat of primer - I don't)

- Lay down one or two light coats of semi-gloss black

- Spray two light coats of the Charcoal (different directions) that should dry as is hits the surface. Don't allow it to build up because this will fill the grain and make the final finish too glossy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts