Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Has anyone seen a Black 1969 Mach 1? I am just curious as I was wondering about the hood paint. If the car is painted black is the hood the same color or is it still painted the flat black look?
How weird would this be...
I was wondering about painting a 1969 Mach 1 a metallic black (slight metallic) and painting the hood in a gloss black (so it lasts). The vehicle in question has the red mach interior, and so I was thinking that the black & red stripe would go well.
Any suggestions or comments?
TIA
Paul

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
you'll lose some of the anti-glare properties of flat paint.....that incredibly long hood is a good mirror for a lot of sunlight when its glossy

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have the '69 paint design on my '70. It blows peoples minds, but,I like the looks of the hood. Mine is painted gloss black, base coat clear coat. It is VERY glossey....
But, i have the Boss 429 hood scoop on it also. I think the hood scoop breaks up the glare...
If you would like to see it, e-mail me, and I will forward you a picture of the hood....Never have figured out that posting on here problem....don't have them posted on a web site, just on my computer...My e-mail address in is in my Bio...

·
Registered
680 Posts
I forgot to mention, yes, the '69 mach1's that were black had the black finish on the hoods....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very very nice pics! I like the gold with the red, my wife was asking why it wasn't a red stripe with black lettering... I just said that that is how you liked it... I do not even know if Ford made such a stripe...
Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike, pretty cool pic. My wife really likes the look of the Mach being black... It is currently white w/red striping... she is Not fond of that at all. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can I have about 1/2 your horsepower??? LOL
She looks like what one of the 4 Horseman would ride... clean, sleek, powerful, and one heck of a ride /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sharkmouth, Is this why Ford flat blacked the hood - because of the mirror like glare possibility? If the hood is blacked out with the flat paint how does one take care of it? It can't be waxed because of no clear coat and it will eventually fade and look horrible... so what does one do?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
The only stripes that were used with black Mach's were gold with white and red with gold. The black with gold stripe was used on lighter exterior colors.

Thanks for the nice words on the Mach. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have my hood painted gloss black with clearcoat and I love it
the flat looks good too but is very hard to keep nice.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I think that the flat black on black metallic will look pretty neat...

if you wanna cut the glare from the sun you can always stick a shaker scoop on it.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am also having a very bad time with trying to get a body man to get my flat black hood paint right on my 69 mach. What was the answer to your question you posted? What can a person do to make the hood look nice

[email protected]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sorry about the length of time to reply
as far as the black paint, what i am going to do is paint the hood a gloss black, since the car will be metallic black. so it will be slightly different, i have never liked the flat black - whatever you do do not wax the hood if you flat black it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts