Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Bulgaria,
Can I ask you a question.. I have 67'Fastback GTA 390 S-code candy apple red... in the Marti Report it is written that : Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:... Black Paint Stripes..
I`m restoring it from Zero..and soon we will be ready for the paint... so .. where we should put those black paint stripes.. on the hood and all over the car..or low on the side where the GTA emblem is.. Want to make it original as it is said in Marti Report. when we bought it fromCalifornia, there werent any black stripes, just white one down the side of the car. I`m attaching image.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Land vehicle Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
42,892 Posts
Greetings from Bulgaria,
Can I ask you a question.. I have 67'Fastback GTA 390 S-code candy apple red... in the Marti Report it is written that : Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:... Black Paint Stripes..
I`m restoring it from Zero..and soon we will be ready for the paint... so .. where we should put those black paint stripes.. on the hood and all over the car..or low on the side where the GTA emblem is.. Want to make it original as it is said in Marti Report. when we bought it fromCalifornia, there werent any black stripes, just white one down the side of the car. I`m attaching image. View attachment 854726
View attachment 854727
Where you currently have the white accent stripe, it would be black.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
1,766 Posts
Welcome...nice car...lots of info here and good people with vast amounts of knowledge👍🐎

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I believe the "black paint stripe" refers to the accent stripe on the upper part of the fenders, doors and quarter panels.

...the notation is frequently misunderstood. The rocker panel stripes were not painted on Mustangs. They were decals.

Here is an example of a car with the thin accent stripe along the tops of the fenders doors and quarter panels.

·
Registered
37,352 Posts
I believe the "black paint stripe" refers to the accent stripe on the upper part of the fenders, doors and quarter panels.

...the notation is frequently misunderstood. The rocker panel stripes were not painted on Mustangs. They were decals.

Here is an example of a car with the thin accent stripe along the tops of the fenders doors and quarter panels.

You are quite correct on all points. The "paint stripe" was literally painted on, in this case with gloss black paint, 3/32" wide, about 1/4" below the top edge of the fender, door, and quarter panel, ending on the quarter extension.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Diana, first things first! Welcome to the Forum. A great wealth of information is at your fingertips. The inputs above concerning accent stripes are correct, although I have always known them as "pin stripes". Best of luck to your restoration and please let us know how you are progressing with some pictures along the way.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
I kept looking at the pictures and thinking, "That doesn't look like Bulgaria. In fact it looks like Southern California where I grew up". Then I saw you bought the car from California. :)

Welcome to the forum, Diana. It's always great to hear from more women and more people from overseas.

·
Registered
7,756 Posts

Should the lower rocker panel decal be black in this case to match the accent stripe? I would think a black accent stripe at the top of the fender and a white rocker panel stripe would look odd.

·
Registered
37,352 Posts
Typically, on a red car the GT stripe would be coordinated with the interior, that is, black seats, black stripe, parchment seats, white stripe. Doesn't the Marti report clear this up?

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
Typically, on a red car the GT stripe would be coordinated with the interior, that is, black seats, black stripe, parchment seats, white stripe. Doesn't the Marti report clear this up?
What if you have a red interior?

• Haha
Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for all your answers and nice words
..but still can’t be sure what is correct..those pin stripes i have seen only on 68’ fastbacks not on 67’.. i was thinking that more correct will be where now is white above the rocker to do it black..
those picture I’m sending are part if the progress..there is now a new floor new rockers and we are continuing on the tale of the car..
is somewhere a contact of the factory Ford or representing the factory that has an information..people from Marti Report couldn’t tell me as well.. its ridiculous..
..and what i can tell about restoration this type of cars..i have bought new metal parts - not any of them fit correctly! I think they are made in the factory absolutely different from the original car :( its so waste of time to make them fit.. BUT, i will finish it no matter what :)

Another think i found is that I have VIN stamp only on the fender of passenger side ..the driver side is missing.. will be this a problem? And this i have is different one letter C instead of S… 7F02C must be 7F02S (because the car is S code)..i have wrote again on Marti..he checked that our with S is correct and what he wrote was this: “
We don't have a letter we send out that states a VIN was stamped wrong by the factory as we are not sure who or when is was done. You would just have our email stating that the VIN is not a Valid VIN. You would also have the Marti Report showing the correct VIN. Only 1 car from each assembly plant can have that unique last 6 digits. So there was only 1 Mustang produced with the last 6 digits being …..from the Dearborn plant and that is VIN 7F02S…...

Scot Hulvey
Marti Auto Works”
I have found an option for re-stamping the vin but don’t think it will work like the original one..what you think does this inform from marti is enough to confirm the identity of the car for the collection purpose..
Thank you all in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
For thee stripe information, I would ask the question on the Concours Mustang Forum. There are experts there on the fine details of the cars as they came from the factory.

ConcoursMustang Forums - Index

I found the following there.

Font Parallel Pattern Paper Rectangle

It shows that for a 67 Candy Apple Red car with Black interior, the Accent Stripes should be Black.

The repair panels currently sold come from several sources. The parts made in Canada are generally heavy duty parts, but rarely fit well. There are also parts made overseas in Taiwan, and other countries. Some of these fit very well, and many fit poorly. They are usually made to metric specifications instead of SAE, causing subtle differences in fit.

The best parts are usually NOS Ford parts or parts made from original Ford Tooling. These are increasing difficult to find and can be expensive.

In any case, almost all the parts require some massaging to fit well.

Miss-stamped VINs are uncommon but not unheard of. The letter from Marti works is the best documentation you are likely to find. Ford also produces a report similar to Marti that you could also get. Trying to re-stamp the VIN is difficult as the exact stamps are not sold and it may be illegal in your country.

Do you know anything about the history of the car? Was it generally solid and complete when you bought it? Are there signs it has been in an accident or had rust damage that was previously repaired? There should be two VINs stamped on the drivers side. If both are missing something must have happened to the Aprons on that side.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
Also, in 67 a Candy Apple Red car should have white GT side stripes, EXCEPT when you have a Black interior. Then the stripes should be Black. This chart shows the correct color for both the Accent Stripe and the GT stripe.

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

1 - 18 of 18 Posts