Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting to final stages of installing the motor I built and have 1 wire I don't recall where it goes. It is black/red and is part of one of the bundles coming from the firewall. When I bought the car, it came with a 1 wire alternator installed, so I am thinking it used to go to the original alternator and no longer is used, but hoping someone can confirm. Here is a pic of wire.

Thanks - Farrell

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
As I recall it would go to the battery side of the solenoid because mine has two there with the battery cable.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
I am getting to final stages of installing the motor I built and have 1 wire I don't recall where it goes. It is black/red and is part of one of the bundles coming from the firewall. When I bought the car, it came with a 1 wire alternator installed, so I am thinking it used to go to the original alternator and no longer is used, but hoping someone can confirm. Here is a pic of wire.

Thanks - Farrell
Assuming a mustang, what year and engine?

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Ok, am looking at a '65 ignition, starter etc. diagram it shows that as a ground wire (#26 and obvious by the ring terminal) originating out of the harness connection to the Alt Regulator. The "ring" is grounded to Alt Reg. attachment bolt.
Might be a good time to seek a wiring diagram for your year, make, and model.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
My chart says it is an alternator ground. One of those branches off to that ground on the front/side of the block and it then splits and goes over to the plug in for the regulator harness. It comes out at the regulator and is bolted to one of the metal mounting screws for the voltage regulator which is also a ground, wire code 26 black red. I think this shows it pretty well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That is the ground wire and attaches to the engine block at the same location as the negative battery cable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts