Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in San Francisco and have a 69 convertible and would love to get a set of the old plates. The originals were stolen from the previous owner and I have no idea how to do this. I saw some threads and it looks possible. How do I start? Your help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Hi Jon-
First, you need to locate a pair of plates. It needs to be a pair, not just one, and they need to be genuine. Restored plates MIGHT pass DMV muster, but it's better to get unrestored plates. eBay is a good source, as are swap meets. You need plates in the ABC 123 format. If you want the plates to look "correct" for the car, you want to find plates that begin with X or Y. Z might work, but the text of the YOM (Year Of Manufacture) law specifically excludes the Z series for some odd reason, so best to be safe and look for X or Y. Any pair in the right format will work, but the X and Y series were originally issued in 1968 and 1969. I have some pairs of plates for sale, but none in the X or Y series.

When you locate a good pair of plates, you need to make sure they're "clear" before you buy them. Call 1-800-777-0133, press 1 for English, wait for the main menu and press 0 for an agent. Then wait for a long time on hold. When you reach an agent, tell them you want to check a license plate number to see if it's in use. If they tell you your number is not in use, then it's "clear" and the plates are good to buy.

If the plates you get do not have a '69 sticker on the rear plate, you'll need to locate one. I can help you with this, as I have some listed on eBay and I can sell you one direct (off eBay) for a discount. PM me if you need one.

Once you have the plates and the '69 sticker, take them to the DMV and tell them you need to register your plates for YOM use on your '69 vehicle. They may know how to do this, but you may get a clerk who doesn't know what to do. You can print the form out and have it filled out in advance. The link for the form is: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg352.pdf

They should photocopy your plates and give you a temporary registration while Sacramento approves your plates, which can take up to 3 months or more. They do NOT need to keep your black plates. DO NOT let them convince you otherwise.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me and I should be able to answer them for you.

Frank

·
Registered
3,821 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Interested in your plates...
I was under the impression that the DMV will reject black plates that have been restored. I am assuming you are certain that this is not the case...
Thanks for any additional input you can provide on this front...

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
PM sent.

As far as restored plates, the DMV will not accept plates that have been "altered" from their original state. Some clerks take that to mean that the plates cannot be restored. Others feel, like I do, that restoration is NOT alteration. In fact, people that restore plates are trying to get them to look as close as possible to original. That's why I said it's best to use plates that aren't restored, just to avoid any potential problems. You can always restore them AFTER you get final approval from Sacramento.

Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts