Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Blacked out chrome on a 67 mustang is...

• a travesty

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • not for me but I don鈥檛 care what you do

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • good on the right car

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • tough, uncompromising, intimidating

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Dimples
Fun idea for a poll. I wanted to pick travesty, but opted for the less judgmental route. Never looks right to me.

Super Moderator
Only on a black car, maybe,....

I鈥檓 a fan of basic, stock chrome.

Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
Even when well done my first thought when I see any car with painted chrome trim is that the owner was too cheap, poor, or just plain unable to restore the chrome properly. I have seen some cars with some beautiful black out work done but still there's almost always that very first impression.

Registered
You can vinyl wrap your chrome with satin black as many OEM cars have done for years. Looks great and if you want to go back to chrome then you can.

Registered
Says, "I am 19. This is my first car. I work at AutoZone."

Registered
I have an 81 Harley Sturgis that came with black chrome pipes from the factory and I love it. On the right vehicle black chrome is awesome. And for the record getting something black chromed is just as expensive as regular chrome, I鈥檝e done it on many a Harley over the years. Alternative means like plastic dip, etc. are a different story.

Registered
I kept the bumpers chrome and taillamps but powder coated all the remaining chrome satin black. It adds a subtle look to the car.

Registered
I black plasti-dipped the bumpers and tail light trim on my car to see if I would like it. I think it works pretty well with the primer paint scheme I have going on. Like the primer though, it's temporary should I change my mind later on.

Registered
I think black chrome (not chrome painted black) looks fantastic on the right car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts