Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for you guys who have blacked out hoods or have seen them. Does the cowl look better blacked out also? Or just the hood by itself. I have seen them both ways. But can not decide which looks better.
65FB347Frt.jpeg

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Premium Member
11,419 Posts
You know the old saying around here- It's your car so do what you like.
Here's a '69 M1 in a similar color. The cowl is black but the black paint does not extend all the way to the edges of the hood and cowl as in your photo.
1969 M1 hood.jpg

·
Registered
297 Posts
From the pictures I would say cowl blacked out as well. Of course opinions are like....

·
Dimples
4,355 Posts
Blacked out cowl would be the Trans Am style )if not the tops of the genders too), which this look would be paying homage too. It also seals the deal that you aren’t just rolling with a mismatched hood.

Either is fine, but I would do the cowl too, personally. For the above reasons.

Edit: truth be told, I have toyed with this and like the idea of running it along the body line that’s close to the edge, but not quite the whole hood. A little more fussy, but I think it’d look cool.

·
Premium Member
11,419 Posts
Edit: truth be told, I have toyed with this and like the idea of running it along the body line that’s close to the edge, but not quite the whole hood. A little more fussy, but I think it’d look cool.
I agree. Black from the center of the hood/cowl out to that body line and then orange from there to the edge. Maybe even a black pinstripe like the M1. When the whole hood/cowl is black it makes the car look like the black was an afterthought. With the color change along the body line it makes it blend in.
For something a little different paint the hood something like dark blue instead of black.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, that isn't even my car. I just used it as a reference. Sorry guys. But, thank you for all the input.

I may just do the hood and leave the cowl alone.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Im liking this scheme.

Reactions: blueovalfan68

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
My thought on it is this: both look good, I give the nod to the black hood AND cowl though for shear looks.
HOWEVER, if you decide that the black look just isn't for you, it is much easier to just do a repaint on the hood or you could even run two different hoods. Maybe a stock color for everyday and a vented black hood for competitive times.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Another version, although I would paint the grill surround black instead of the argent silver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts