Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 72 Mach 1 has the blacked out hood. It is either satin or flat black paint and does not have clear coat on it. It very closely resembles the facory original look. The rest of the car is BC/CC.

Can I wax or polish this paint without ruining it? It has a few waterspots that I would like to remove but I don't know what the best way to go about it is.

TIA

Steve

http://chezdajez.mypicgallery.com/stevesmach1/my-72-mach-1.jpg

·
Registered
839 Posts
beautiful car. bought a 71 like it when i was in college. i too had the deluxe interior with the black accents on red.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the complement. I also have a 71 in the same color combination that I am preparing to restore.

Steve

http://chezdajez.mypicgallery.com/stevesmach1/trunknmustangs.jpg
72 Mach 1 Q Code, 71 Mach 1 M Code, 97 F150

·
Registered
766 Posts
Steve,
I too love you car. I have always wanted a red interior...: )
To answer your question?
Is it a 2K (2 layer) or acrylic base? If it's acrylic, I wouldn't want to polish your black bonnet as the polish will leave a wax stain, which will never come out : ( Now if it's a 2K layer then you will be able to polish out any stains.But just to be on the safe side why not try a very small area as a test to see.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If your black-out area has no clear-coat or gloss DO NOT put any type of wax or straight cleaner on the finish. Staining WILL occur and it will ruin the look of your otherwise very nice Mustang. You state that your finish is "Satin" or "Flat Black". These types of finishes can be cleaned with a soft bristle brush and water, I have used a diluted solution of "Simple Green" (or other no detergent cleaner) and water (1oz to 1qt) from a spray bottle, rinse with a full flow of water, not a jet stream. As a precaution, you may want to speak to the painter who layed out your finish, contact the supplier(dupont, sikkens etc) and ask what they recommend, if a mild cleaning solution does not work. Since you are only removing water spots, this should work, up to removing bird stains as well. Remember to towel dry (pat dry not wipe) the black-out after washing, or the water spots will return (do not use a chamois cloth, it will scratch). If you have getting "hard water stains" (calcium, iron, other mineral deposits) you may want to buy an inexpensive water filter (or distilled water) to use when washing down the car. Sorry, I am a fanatic when it comes to keeping my 73 clean. As an option, buy a can or two of a matching spray bomb, lay the color on an old door, hood etc, and try different methods to clean the stains. Due to the acid rain conditions and pine trees in this area, I had to lay out a BC/CC finish over all. Good Luck! BTW I have a similar color combo on my 73 Convertible, with a wht/blk delux interior. Just took first place at MCC of NE show, Rodman Ford, 07/19/2004. Paul D

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Steve I have a 71 mach1 I am like you on the blacked out hood I can never keep the water spots off.Back in Nov.I had enough of it.I started washing it with a spray bottle with water only and dry it off.Then I use black magic wet shine spray detailer on it and it looks great.I have not seen any troube with it.But do like I did say a prayer first ::

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate the replies. The car was painted by the PO who is now overseas with the Canadian air force so I am not able to ask who painted it or what paint product he used.

I am on a well but have a water softner and mineral filter installed so the water shouldn't be very hard.

I think I will spot paint a section on my 71 hood and try the ideas you guys have mentioned.

Again, I appreciate the replies.

Steve

http://chezdajez.mypicgallery.com/stevesmach1/my-72-mach-1.jpg
My 72 Mach 1 Q Code

·
Registered
277 Posts
Do not wax. I learned from experience back in the 60's with my Mach 1. I now use a light application of Black Again on the rear louvers which have a similar paint finish. Works very well and lasts for weeks. I also use it on the sky roof panels on my SUV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts