Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wanting to black out some of my stainless trim, and found this stuff,

Has anyone ever used it? It doesn't require high heat and they claim that there are no caustic fumes emitted during the process.

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
I've never used it so don't take my word for the truth.
I know that there are several grades of stainless steel and some of them have lots of carbon steel in them to the point of being magnetic. I'm betting this solution is nothing more than gunsmithing "cold blue" solution and they are betting that your item is one of the grades of stainless containing lots of carbon steel so it will turn black when treated with this solution.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Did you read the Safety Data Sheet?

Classification in accordance with paragraph (d) of 29 CFR 1910.1200. Acute Toxicity - Oral - Category 4 Acute Toxicity - Inhalation - Vapor - Category 3 Skin Corrosion/Irritation - Category 1 Serious Eye Damage/Eye Irritation - Category 1 Hazardous to the Aquatic Environment - Acute - Category 3 Hazardous to the Aquatic Environment - Chronic - Category 3
Signal Word Danger
Harmful if swallowed Toxic if inhaled Causes severe skin burns and eye damage Harmful to aquatic life with long lasting effects Precautionary Statement(s) Prevention Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection Wash thoroughly after handling Do not eat, drink or smoke when using this product Avoid release to the environment Do not breathe dusts or mists Response IF INHALED: Remove person to fresh air and keep comfortable for breathing IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing IF ON SKIN (or hair): Remove/take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water/shower Wash contaminated clothing before reuse IF SWALLOWED: Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting Immediately call a POISON CENTER or doctor

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
platidip might be less expensive and surely more reversible. powder coating is an option as well
I have powder coated door handles in black chrome, but was thinking about the door lock cylinders and the windshield wiper arms. The black chrome powder coat is a two coat process, and probably wouldn't work well for parts that had to move or rotate, because of its thickness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts