Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blasting cabinet ran out of the stuff I bought originally for aggresive removal of rust, so I used 50lbs of the freebie stuff they supplied (most popular, they said!). Well, that stuff was dusty, and the vacuum cleaner sucked all of it up within 2 hours of usage. I then used glass beads, and boy, what a nice surface it leaves!

Anyway, another guy comes over and says that if I want to epoxy paint over it, there's not enough tooth for the epoxy to hold onto that surface, and that I should use sand or more abrasive material. Can anyone verify this?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Bro'.

tell him that HIS information rates a .....

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/bsmeter.gif

the surface that glass beads is just fine and provides plenty of "tooth" for epoxy to "bite" into. methinks he is thinking of "old school" primers that required a certain roughness in order to adhere properly. tell him the bossman says he needs to take a few "updated" courses in paint materials and their properties....

randy ::

·
Premium Member
19,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anything glass beaded has to fit in the blasting cabinet, so no external sheet metal will fit. I was just curious about the "tooth" thing, as anything bead blasted probably won't require epoxy primer.

·
Premium Member
19,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bro:
If I epoxy primer over existing paint (I'm thinking undercarriage), do I still need to scuff up the existing paint? I will certainly use wax and grease remover first. What level of scuffing is required for existing paint?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts