Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's winter time and I am going to be touching up a few rusty spots which some might require blasting. What type of stores sell sand that the local blasters use?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Try your local Home Depot or Lowes type store. Find #4 fine sand kiln dried and sifted.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
What do you want to blast? Will the parts be removed from the car etc.

My point is different media for different steel/iron. There are also other ways to clean steel that are not nearly as messy.

If you want to use sand, cheap play sand works just fine for small portable blasters. Just sift it first so it does'nt clog the gun. I've used about 1500 lbs. on my coupe.

Glass beads, nut shells and baking soda are also available.
There's a bunch of places on the web that sell it. Shipping can get pricey though. Maybe you can find a local jobber to avoid shipping.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah on the car sadly to say, I have a couple pitted rusty spots on the roof right next and including parts of the rain gutter.

I'm only doing touch up for we are not ready to spend the big bucks on a whole new paint job. Yes the paint wont match perfectly, then again there are tons of things on RED that don't match. Maybe this is why the daughter loves the car so much.

So tons of masking a papering off so the media won't get into any internal part of the car. I realize that sand will go everywhere.

I also have a couple household items I want to also blast. I have one of those small gravity fed Speedy blater guns.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I like DuPont's "star-blast". It's quartz-based and is not as dangerous to breathe as silica-sand. I can get it locally for about 7 bucks a 50lb bag, or I can drive an hour, buy 1 ton or more and get it much cheaper.

As far as masking goes...a few old quilts/sheets from the local yard sales work wonders. Saves lots of time and are infinitley re-usable. I've got 20 or so draped over engines and everything else in the shop. Take 'em off when I need them, put 'em back when I'm through.

Cardboard refrigerator/stove/bigscreen boxes from the local electronics store make nice protectors for glass..cut to fit, a little duct tape around the edges.

SamG

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I fight the sand everywhere battle each time I blast. When I finsih I expect to spend days beating on the body with vacuums and compressed air to rid the car of the residue.

Using a large sheet of heavy plastic as a mask over the whole car, cut out a hole big enought to expose the area to be cleaned. Either tape it to the car or weight it to the ground all the way around. That should help keep it out and protect the rest of the finish.

For small non-delicate parts I use muriatic acid for 30 min to remove absolutely traces of rust. Then rinse well and apply a phosphorus rust inhibitor for protection. Then I either paint or oild the surface for long term protection.

Works great, no mess. Obviously use caution with the acid. Maybe even try it on a junk piece of steel first just to see what it does.

Of course as a side note, I've been watching your posts since you started. I think you'll end up painting the car anyway. At least if you can in Ca.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
And a GOOD respirator!!

The key is DRY air!!
WHAT HE SAID!!! Blasting with sand is very hazardous without proper safety equipment.

If you are only blasting a little, consider more expensive media like glass beads or aluminum oxide, both of which can be bought at your local Harbor Freight.

Good luck,
-Rory

1 - 8 of 8 Posts