Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, like Frankenstein, my C-4 tranny has a pair of bolts on either side next to the pan. The bolts have a square head and looks like one can adjust them in and out. Problem is both are leaking at the thread. The bolts screw into a base that is a welded nut, and so it does not turn.

What are these for? How do I fix the leak? What happens if I turn them in or out??

thanks, Jaime

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The "welded nuts" are actually jam nuts for the band adjustment, these nuts have sealer made onto them. Don't remove the square headed bolts, the band anchors will fall to the bottom of the pan.

·
Registered
151 Posts
WOW I've been trying to figure out how to ask this same question. I thought it was my pan leaking I changed the gasket and it still leaked. then I noticed the square nut and fluid coming out of it, but I can't get them to turn, did you try to tighten yours. mine will not budge.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Carefully try to loosen the jam nuts without turning the square bolts and put some rtv sealer around the threads of the bolt. Re-tighten the jam nuts and hopefully your problem will be solved...

·
6,855 Posts
As a young lad (about 5 years ago) I tightened mine up to stop the leak. Seemed to work, but the car wouldn't move. DOOHHH!

Somebody help me here. I've slept since then. Aren't you supposed to run them all the way in and then back them out exactly x number of turns? If your messing with the jam nut, you might as well set the band adjustment. It might even firm up your shifts a bit.

Also...believe it or not, that stop tranny leak stuff does work for little bitty leaks. Get a quart of that and start using it when you need to add fluid. It will help. A bag of oil dry helps too /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

Phil

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't want to just change or rtv the jam nuts without re-setting the band adjustment, that's a no no!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks all for the info. I purchased a haynes manual today specifically on auto tranny's including the c-4. I'm going to try and get a reseal kit to DIY.

Jaime

1 - 7 of 7 Posts